Saturday, January 30, 2010

"When do you write?"

I cringe when some well-meaning person asks me this question. I am sure they are picturing someone at a desk at 4 am, charts and outlines of her novel neatly displayed, soft music playing, a goal of 500 words to meet.

In contrast, I am often lying on the couch at random times, struggling to type around an insistent calico cat, dropping chocolate cake crumbs and sighing in frustration. For example I have three projects all bubbling merrily away in a messy stew: my firefighting memoir, which I need to condense and shape to a more manageable flow; an erratic collection of wilderness ramblings that I would like to turn into a book of essays; and my poor Alaska novel that limps along for a page or two every five years.

I wish I could be more organized about it, but life just gets in the way. I want, no I need, to get outside after a week of breathing recycled air. During the work week I spend ten hours a day staring at a computer screen. There is yoga, pilates, writers group, the pub..

This is why I used to go to the Oregon coast to write. The trick is to go to a nice place but not so nice that it draws you outside all the time. At the coast, you basically have the beach and the woods, so I would go out to hike or run, then come back in to write, repeat. No distractions.

I'll have to do better. Starting today. After I come back from snowshoeing, hiking in to check out a snowed-in house for sale, ice skating, playing with dogs, making a minestrone soup, and checking my Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Location and position of author irrelevant; the wrting that results from wherever and however you are is awesome. (And if I wrote more, that's probably the way I'd do it, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. good luck finding time. You have this blog, though. That's writing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!