Saturday, July 24, 2010

I live in a postcard




I spent this week in the Lakes Basin. A series of shimmering lakes, aurrounded by mountains, it is almost too pretty to be real. I set my tent up on a long rock slab next to a tiny pothole lake with no name. In the evenings I walked out to the cliff edge and looked down on Moccasin Lake far below. A three quarter moon peeked over the shoulder of Eagle Cap mountain. Snow still lingered on the passes. The hordes of visitors inexplicably were absent.

We were doing some trail work (catch dams, rock waterbars) and restoration of braided trails. It was bittersweet to see the young wilderness ranger women, because it reminded me of a simpler time when that was my seasonal job, when all I owned fit in a pickup and possibilities were endless.

For a brief moment, I envied them. Twenty-five, paid to hike all day, no worries about bad knees, wrinkles, the fear of taking leaps. The envy didn't last long, though(except for the wrinkles part). I couldn't stop smiling, even through a cloud of mosquitoes. I live in a postcard!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So glad there are postcard places to explore and that you are living in them.

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!