Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Shred the Gnar

A disclaimer: I don't really shred the gnar. In fact, I don't shred the gnar at all.  Or do anything with the gnar. I just like the phrase. It makes me laugh. In case you haven't figured it out, it's skiing steep--gnarly--terrain. Which I don't do.

Instead I cross country ski. When I lived in Alaska I had "sun anxiety"--if the sun unexpectedly came out, a sort of manic behavior arose. It's sunny! What should I do? It might never come out again! Well here I have the same reaction to soft fluffy snow. I sit grumpily in my office--okay, cubicle--staring at the black screen of my computer with the message "Windows could not start because the following file is corrupted: Windows/config/system 32." A message that surely cannot lead to anything good, since the Can't Help You Desk hasn't called me back after insincerely promising to "elevate it to Level 2." And I think, why can't I just go skiing?

So I do. Here are some photos from my skis and other winter adventures.

This is the Redmont nordic ski hut. Look at my cute bed partner. (Sierra)
It's winter!
White dogs love winter.

It was about -5 on this day. The creek settles in for a long winter.

The tourists are long gone.



Shred the gnar!



3 comments:

  1. Oh Marre I'm jealous. It looks so beautiful. Makes me want to take a trip to the mountains this weekend if even just to get out of car and take pics. So peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    Thanks for the comment! I relate to your views as well. It's why I frequently explore "why I race" on my blog. So far, I still arrive at the conclusion that I value the external pressure and community of racing, and acknowledge that my long races have prompted me to push myself farther than I probably would on my own. I like to push my limits, and racing gives me the structure to do so.

    As for the header, I designed the entire graphic in Photoshop before uploading it to blogger. The Blogger template editor doesn't size the header and sidebar photos for you. You have to do that yourself. My header is 980 pixels wide. Your blog template looks to be about the same.

    If you don't have Photoshop or photo editing software that allows you to insert text or size photos based on pixels, you can e-mail me your desired photo and headline and I can put it together for you and e-mail it back. I could even do a couple different designs. I enjoy that sort of thing. :) My e-mail is jillhomer-at-gmail.com.

    I have been enjoying your blog ever since I discovered it (after you commented on my blog.) I enjoy your writing and often relate to your essays, and I like that you're a former resident of Southeast Alaska living in the Mountain West. I was really excited when you talked for a while about moving to Missoula. Hope the winter is treating you well!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!