Saturday, January 8, 2011

Guns, Runners and Pavement

Well, folks, I have survived a week (almost) in DC. I've joined a gym (ugh!), worn some suits, and tramped around the urban jungle. There are some cool things about DC. You can sign out a bike and ride it, and drop it off someplace! (I'm not brave enough of a bike rider, but it's still a neat program). There's some farmer's markets. You can ride the metro just about anywhere. And a lot of the museums are free!


 A nice snowfall this morning made these row houses look even more quaint:



This is the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Lots of cute townhouses.
The mall is a favorite place for runners. I've kept my runs to about 30 minutes because the pavement just hurts. I have been running on trails for too long. How did I ever run 26.2 miles on pavement? Twice! Ouch.


Every day hundreds of runners are here. A lot of them in shorts, even though it's really cold.

I haven't seen this many guns since I left Alaska. I don't have any pictures of the capitol police because I wasn't sure if they would appreciate it. During the week, they are on every corner. With very large rifles.

Today I went to the botanical garden:







And the museum of the American Indian. I was fascinated by the boats.


This aleutian kayak is 19' long and 24' wide. Looks a little tippy to me.

An Ojibwa birch bark canoe
Other things I have learned:

Capitol Hill is really on a hill.
Plastic bags will cost you 5 cents in the store.
They're into "reflecting pools" here. (I don't quite get the concept of water you can't swim in).
"Sarah Palin's Alaska" reality TV show is really, really bad.

Stay tuned as the city adventures continue.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting out and about in DC, Marre. I liked it a lot when I lived there and worked at the Library of Congress for a year. You could probably do a museum every day and still have many more to see. Love, Ant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snarfed at the more guns than AK comment. Nice.

    Go, you, at the WO. I know it's crazy to be so separated from the wild. When the office back east has people like you there, those of us still in the wild breathe a bit easier. Thanks for taking one for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I snarfed at the more guns than AK comment. Nice.

    Go, you, at the WO. I know it's crazy to be so separated from the wild. When the office back east has people like you there, those of us still in the wild breathe a bit easier. Thanks for taking one for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the botanical gardens photos...so nice to find green and earth in the midst of winter and the city. I liked the Museum of the American Indian, too...an Inuit group was giving a concert in native costume when I was there.
    Re the "reality" show: Sarah Palin is awful and whines a lot , but the AK scenery is cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!