Friday, August 5, 2011

I'm (not) too old for this

Work. Hard work. Just you, a pulaski, an axe, or a crosscut saw, each swing thundering through your arms and down to your feet. Sweat dripping down your back and your three-day-old shirt. Waking up so stiff and sore you can't touch your toes and it takes a half hour of yoga to unbend the kinks so you can walk back up the hill to start again. Your hands, slowly uncurling from eleven hours of grasping a smooth handle, the dirt and rocks and roots, each one a blow, a victory, a challenge.

For years I lived this life, digging fireline, chopping out downfall from a trail with only a pulaski, swinging a swedish brush axe through palms, building a pole barn in the oven of a Florida summer, all in a series of short and sometimes brutal jobs where your value lay in how hard you could work.

Somehow I've gone away from that, turning to trail runs and long hikes instead. More days than I like, I sit in a cubicle. There's a big piece missing, the satisfaction of working hard, doing something most people couldn't, or wouldn't want to do.

I got to experience it again this week as I and four others dug a new water line for a historic set of ranch buildings on the Minam River. Ninety in the shade, 8-10 inches deep through swamp, tall grass, sod, rubbery roots, enormous rocks requiring a pickaxe. Hard work is humbling. You can think you are in the best hiking or running shape ever, but try something like this and you quickly learn how much more there is.

I often hear people say they are too old to do work like this. Let's be clear on one thing. The minute you start saying you are too old, you ARE too old. The people I was working with, three days in the hot sun? 35. 59. 59. 62. When we were done we packed up and hiked out, eight miles up from the valley floor. It took us three hours.  And I chased after more than one of the "old guys".

I liked going back to the world of real work. I'm not sure I want to live there all the time but I know I want to visit more often.

The tally:

Bee stings: three.
Hours digging: 25
Swims taken in river: four
Times I went for a trail run because I didn't get enough exercise at work: zero.


4 comments:

  1. I wish (most of the time) I could "work hard" outside. The exercise would do me good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby has been dealing with that since he got his desk job five years ago already. He grew up on a farm, worked on a farm during college, and then was plopped in front of a computer after that. He really misses it, but it makes certain that I don't have to ask twice for him to go fix something around the house. He always is on top of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got great points there, that's why I always check your blog, it looks like you are an expert in this field. keep up the good work, My friend recommends your site.

    My blog:
    rachat credit proprietaire www.rachatdecredit.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good piece, Marre. When we were in Bolivia building the foundation of a basketball court, with bricks and mortar, some local people said to us, "Why are you doing this? In our country, old people don't do this kind of work." But we kept on keepin' on, and there was a lot of satisfaction in helping lay 10,000 bricks in the hot sun. :-) (All our work was then covered over with cement, but the kids had a great place to play.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!