Saturday, July 28, 2012

Into the (sort of) wild

The last two days I've tried to exhaust myself so that sitting in a car for fourteen hours won't be so impossible. I don't know about you, but I find it hard to sit around for long periods of time unless I have had some exercise.

Yesterday I blazed it up to Maxwell Lake. It's not that far of a hike, so I'm always surprised that hardly anyone is up there. On the way down I passed a couple going up, and the woman said, "All by yourself?" in tones of surprise. I really hope for a day when a woman hiking alone is not something unusual.

Also my first jump into an alpine lake for the year.




Today I went for a double digit bike ride, since I won't be able to ride for awhile. I discovered all sorts of nice quiet roads I hadn't been on before. This would be a great place to train for a marathon. Since I can't, I'll just ride. I also discovered that I need more padded bike shorts. Ouch.

And this is why I love living here. A (cute) farmer on an ATV passed by. "Good morning!" he yelled. Here's the thing: I always feel a little weird about working out when there are people who get in shape from, well, work. These are people whose lives have no leeway; weather can dictate whether they survive. But here in this valley all types get along, even if we disagree on some things. Thanks for the greeting, cute farmer.

Tomorrow we head out for parts known, stopping in Reno for the night and to collect a member of our tribe. Then it is on to Mammoth where we will camp and await the Yarts bus to take us to Yosemite Valley. Logistics have been the hardest thing about this trip and it will be nice to just start walking.

Luckily my old Park Service friends have come to the rescue and are shuttling our car to the ending trailhead. We didn't even have to ask them. Let's hear it for true friends!

This blog will go dark for about three weeks. I thought about writing and scheduling posts while I was gone, but well, I ran out of time. There is still so much to do.

Take care, my bloggy friends. You may not know it, but I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read and especially those who comment. I'll be back!

8 comments:

  1. Have fun! I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not commented before but regularly enjoy your blog and photography. Have a fantastic hike and I look forward to when you have time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marre, have a super-wonderful time and tell us all about when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and "the freak". I'm currently reading "Wild". Hope you have a great adventure, but not so much in the way of MIS-adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun! Will be thinking of you and anxiously waiting for your posts and photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're having fun, Mary! Wish I could be there with you. Sounds like a nice, gritty blast of a time. Can't wait to see all the pics upon your return.

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!