Sunday, September 30, 2012

Racing the Season

There comes a time when the signs are impossible to ignore. Frost, a silver blanket on the grass in Brownie Basin. The casual disregard of warm clothes no longer a possibility. Nights longer and longer, darkness falling earlier each day. And so whatever your obsession is, you are wrapped up in it too tight to unspool, asking for just one more day.

My obsession is long distance hiking, especially in the alpine, but I know it is coming to an end. And if you are getting older like me, you have to wonder, how many more summers will there be? Because you still feel young, you still think you look pretty young, but you have had friends cut down early, and you think about things like this. Summers don't come as fast as they used to anymore. Sunshine is precious, each golden drop.

This time of year it is now or never. Snow could and has fallen this early. Some friends were going to be at one of my favorite lakes and even though I only had a few hours, I decided to put the hammer down and race up there for one night.



There are some nights in the backcountry that I can't sleep at all, and this was one of them. However, I wouldn't trade all the hours of sleep in the world for what happened. A full harvest moon rose over the canyon below us. The granite was flooded with light. A few stars paced through the sky. It was the most beautiful night ever.


1 comment:

  1. The moon was awesome here last night too (and it wasn't cloudy!), I can only imagine what it would be like in the mountains :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!