Monday, December 17, 2012

mountain bender

Sometimes it seems like there isn't any hope left in the world. Those are the times when only a mountain bender will work. Over the years, the mountains have healed my heart in so many ways. 



As the sun finally reached six thousand feet, the light moved like a ghost through the trees. The world was that ethereal blue color only found in deep winter.


Sparkles in snow are snowflakes reflecting the sun. 




I am tired, limp, boneless.  Who  knew a few hours of cross country skiing (without groomed trails) can make you so tired? I feel like I've run a marathon.

I ski along breaking trail. My skis sink deep into bottomless powder. But there is a hidden base far below. Just like there is strength and hope and courage in every one of us.

I will never have children, so I will never know the pain of losing one. I have lost other things, and I know that the sorrow never really goes away. It lurks deep in your soul. It can come back at strange moments. It lingers there in your heart.

This time of year, mountain benders are short. No long seamless days of sunshine. The sun ducks quickly for cover. The snow begins. It is time to drive back down the white knuckle mountain road. Back to reality. 

But the mountains are there. They are open and free to everyone when you need them.

See you out there.

3 comments:

  1. This post read felt like you were describing my snowy adventure on Thursday--our photos even similar. That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you aren't fortunate enough to live in mountains, the wild places, deep woods and watercourses can also heal your hurts. The photos are great...can transport self to your mountains and big snows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, Mary!

    Do you have an agent for your memoir? If not, I can recommend you to mine. Let me know: cinthiaritchie (at) aol (dot) com

    Cheers and happy,happy

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!