Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Adventures of a Week Day Warrior

Until now I  haven't posted much about my weekday life because it doesn't feed my soul the way the precious jewels of the weekend do. The truth is, I have a job that lives and dies by an Outlook calendar. During the furlough, I got to taste the bliss of not being employed--but with savings. Typically if I have that much time off, I am doing something like hiking the PCT. This time, I couldn't really go away anywhere, since once the furlough ended we had to leap back to our computers immediately. Let me tell you, the ability to wake up and make a plan of when to get outside, what to do, was AMAZING! SIGN ME UP, GUYS! If you have this going on in your life, DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED!
Yep, I have to add it in or someone will schedule a meeting.

But I digress. How do we weekday warriors manage? I see people in the office who slump sadly to the break room to eat and then back to their computers. There are others who never break but spew crumbs onto their machines because "I'm too busy to exercise." No, no, no! That will NEVER be me.

I have to admit, I have two big things going for me. 

1. I can work from home if I want. That means I can sit around in my running clothes all day if I want! I can take a SHOWER! (In Alaska, the few, the brave of us who ran at lunch in the rain shivered as we wiped ourselves off with paper towels in the bathroom. Gross, I know, but better than not going at all. It was dark when we got home). Some people are horrified and say they couldn't focus. Not me! I kind of love it.
I do have to fight the cat for the chair. Kind of blurry because he can't stay still.




2. My schedule is pretty flexible. Sort of. On days where there are no big meetings, I can run or bike pretty much when I want, and make up for it later. This is huge! I know I am fortunate, and this makes up for the bitterness I swallow when I see the field-going employees happily heading out to the woods.

I get to check in on the neighbors when I run up towards the closed campground.
This goes through a closed (in fall and winter) campground.
Doesn't this make you want to run it?
So what do I do? Mostly I usually only have an hour. Since I avoid pavement, I have a few choice running routes: The Park of Dog Walkers, the Lakeshore Deep Freeze, The Slow Moraine, and the Closed Campground. These are nicer than they sound. If I want to get crazy, I can take a few extra minutes to drive to a trailhead. The trails here snow over pretty quickly though, or are icy, so I run carefully in my spikes.

Biking also works. I have Brian's Loop (named for my friend Brian who lives along it), The Hill of Death leading to the Lakeshore Deep Freeze, the RV Dodge, and the Farmer Backroads. (Yes, I like to name my routes). 


In summer, I can sometimes get out for a quick hike after work. And there is always the gym, but the trip there and back plus a workout takes more than my allotted time, so I have to make it up. My gym is small, and if one person dominates the weight bench, you're pretty much done. I hear about gyms with multiple floors and more than one TV that isn't tuned to baseball at high decibels..but that's not what we have.

The views are okay, I guess.
Big news though! The  Motel with the Pool of Unidentified Floaty Objects has reopened! So far the new owners say they are looking into the liability of letting non hotel guests use it. You can stroke across it in three strokes..but it is better than nothing, so cross fingers.

I try to mix it up and do something different every day. Run, bike, gym, maybe hike. I mostly decide in the morning what I will do. That can change if the weather does.

There you have it. I know, you wish you were me. But since you're not, let me know how you exercise/get outside with a full time job. If you don't have a full time job, let me in on your secret.

13 comments:

  1. You are lucky to be able to work from home. I work in downtown Portland and although I could go for a run at lunchtime, I don't like coming back to my cubicle all sweaty. So my workouts are relegated to early mornings or after work hours.

    By the way - yes - we will definity have to swap info on hikes on our respective back yards! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep--I'm familiar with the sweaty thing, although in Alaska it was more drowned rat shivering. Don't blame you although I like running on the waterfront in Portlandia.

      Delete
  2. Matt's job is on a rotating schedule; we decided long ago that we'd rather see each other than have a lot of money. What he makes is more than enough for our reasonably cheap home and travel tastes. I cover all the travel plans and home stuff. He basically shows up with his packed bag. It seems to work well for us. :) I would take more advantage of my free schedule, but I often feel guilty leaving Matt behind to go adventuring myself. He seems fine with it, but it is something I think I need to work on with myself. :)

    It is cool you can work from home and have enough flexibility to get out in the daylight for a quick run or something. I also fight the cat for my computer chair, except my kitty is the gray striped version of yours.

    I name my routes too, except they're boring ones with street names instead of "hill of death"...although I do have a route that could be named that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys also like to do the same things. j and I have some differing interests, so it works for me to hike and him to ski. it does force me out of my comfort zone at times.

      Delete
  3. I am now 61 and no longer working. Mary knows a little of me. I have hiked and climbed over 600 highpoints over the past 13 years. Many of those in the snow. I am sick and tired of snow, ice and the cold. I am moving to LA area soon where It is warm and sunny most of the time so I can cycle and hike in the warm sunny weather the rest of my good years left.
    John McGilvra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John are you seriously moving? But what about your mountains?

      Delete
    2. It is nice down here in southern California John. Recently moved to San Diego, run on the beach most days. While I am looking forward to some good hikes in the mountains and deserts down here, I do greatly miss the mountains of Oregon and Washington.
      Forrest Smith

      Delete
    3. It is nice down here in southern California John. Recently moved to San Diego; run on the beach most days. While I am looking forward to some good hikes in the mountains and deserts down here, I do greatly miss the mountains of Oregon and Washington. Maybe someday I'll be able to figure out how to do winters down here and summers up there!
      Forrest

      Delete
  4. For someone who doesn't necessarily have to follow a routine, I usually follow a routine when I'm not traveling. This keeps me either doing chores, errands, newspaper work, or writing projects from 8 to 4. I do my workouts in the evenings, and I've been enjoying the end of DST because it means I often spend part of this time in the dark, riding or running with lights. I could easily shift my personally allotted "exercise time" to mid-day, and sometimes I do. But I love being out at sunset, and the night rides feel like more of an adventure. I enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would fall into a routine as well. If I wait to exercise though.. well..it just gets harder. Perhaps if it was warmer in the evening rather than 20 degrees. But I do love me a warm summer night's run.

      Delete
  5. Unfortunately I work in an office. The benefit of my office location though is that it is close to a running trail. I just have to watch out for the big city crazies. I run at lunch, but only during the warm months. I'm not die hard or brave enough to run during the colder months. I hate frozen ears, fingers, toes, nose, and lungs. I usually wipe down with damp paper towels. We have a very casual office place that I can wear jeans or yoga pants to, so that helps with being able to come back to office sweaty. I pay for a gym membership, but lets face it I have only used it once or twice a month right now for the kids and I to swim. Next year Marre I promise I will have a faster time in your Tri. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coach Mary will get you going on your training in the spring! Of course, your "pacer" might have to be a bit more discreet...

      Delete
    2. "Pacer" heehee! :) Nope no "Pacer" just much needed "Moral Support!"

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!