Friday, November 8, 2013

Change. It's Good.

NOTICE ANYTHING DIFFERENT? Depends on how you get here, from another blogroll (thank you bloggy friends), stumbling in here lost, or signed up, you may notice that I've changed the name. "Inside the Mountain's Skin" was the title of a failed memoir and it's time to move on. The new title reflects more of how I feel now. The mountains are not an escape from the world anymore but a calling. The old picture, with tents on the ridge above Bear Lake, was one of my absolute favorites. It was a time when all was finally right with the world after a long period of darkness. But in that time, I've moved away from Alaska, left that man behind because his heart was not where he said it was, sadly lost touch with the other people on that trip, and found what I was looking for in another set of mountains. The picture that is on there now, of me on Forrester Pass, was one of the best days of my life. After 15 days on the JMT I felt so strong and unstoppable. I started this blog in 2009 so it was due for a big change! No living in the past! So what's up for the future? Well, that's up to you (kind of)! I wouldn't keep this blog up if nobody read or nobody commented on it. My writing life is lonely enough as it is! I labor for years on a manuscript that may never see the light of day. So let me know! What do you like to read about? What makes you come back to certain blogs? As for me, while I will probably still write a lot about hiking and backpacking, I hope to expand a little to other outdoor explorations, both big and small. This will never be a "here's my gym workout for the day" or "Here's what I ate today" type blog. But I am feeling the need to mix things up. Any suggestions are welcome! Here's a question: What's the best change you ever made? For me (the big stuff) Ditching an expected path that was becoming too miserable to contemplate. (The little stuff) Hiking more and running less. I just feel better!

18 comments:

  1. Sorry about the formatting! I couldn't get it to space paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that keeps me coming back to your blog is that your adventure recaps have emotions and personality behind them.

    I'd be curious to know more about your everyday exercise and what you fit in during the working week.

    PS- Love the new green color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! That's a good idea for a post!

      Delete
  3. As a senior citizen from 'Down Under', your blog takes me into your incredible mountains and scenery. It allows me to experience the wonder and beauty of your changing seasons [no such thing in tropical Queensland] and makes me foolish think that if I were to visit I could hike where you hike. Oh I so wish......
    I hope you don't loose too much of this. I'm going to miss your autumn leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! Queensland, how exciting! The leaves may return......I don't expect a ton of changes.

      Delete
  4. Hi MaryEllen/Marre,
    Would you post a link on FB? Some of my friends were enchanted with your earlier link and sent it on to other readers. I think they'd like to know about your new blog name and info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..I kept the same url, so everyone can still find it!

      Delete
  5. Love the new name and focus. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from the opposite end of Oregon! Like the new title and updated graphics. And love your new header pic! I've enjoyed reading about your outdoor adventures and hope you'll continue to share. I do a fair bit of skiing and hiking myself, and hope to get out your way sometime to explore your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda, maybe we can share hiking suggestions!

      Delete
  7. I like the new header photo. And I have to say — you have great legs :)

    Also, I'm curious why you say your memoir will never see the light of day? Have you given up on shopping it to publishers? And, if so, why not consider self publishing? I ask with no judgment or defensiveness, just curiosity. It's perfectly acceptable to prefer traditional publishing and hold out for such an opportunity, but in the modern marketplace there's almost no reason to let a completed work languish in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! My husband says I have "the legs of a thirty year old." Ha ha. Honestly I have thought about self publishing. I'm just lazy in terms of figuring out the platform. I would also like validation, even though i know these days that publishers care only about money, it isn't really the writing quality. I'm working with an editor in Feb to improve it and may look into it after all. I will see what she thinks.

      Delete
  8. Your Blog is so well written. It's obvious it comes from your heart. Therefore it speaks to everyone. I look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love new look!

    I look forward to reading new entries every week and feel blessed when there is more than one entry a week. Afterall I live vicariously through you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll miss the stunning pic that headlined your blog but the writing, I'm sure, will remain true and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that pic too. If I can figure it out I want to put it back as a smaller picture, but I haven't discovered how to do it.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!