Saturday, November 30, 2013

Hanging with the Yes Girls

T and I hiked up Devil's Gulch, farther than we had ever been, finding little pieces of the old road that had once been here before the big floods of whatever year that the locals still talked about. We both burned to find the end of the canyon but after two hours of fighting through the brush and slipping on the frosty stones we either had hours to go or were almost there. We weren't sure.

Reluctantly we turned around and I was meandering on aimlessly about how hard it sometimes was to find outdoors partners. Many came with conditions. Many were often unavailable. Others lived far away, too far for a spontaneous afternoon jaunt.

"I just go with the Yes Girls," she said.

I love that. What she meant were the people who were generally up for an adventure, and didn't fuss about it. It was easy. Uncomplicated.

I know I'm not always a Yes Girl. I get focused on a goal, a destination, or a certain level of fitness. I don't like to run with other people. Sometimes I want to hike faster or farther than others. Which is okay, but I realize that in keeping the focus strictly on me I can leave out people who might want to come along, that bond you can only create through shared adventure.

I'm going to try to be a Yes Girl more often.


9 comments:

  1. The "Yes Girls" - I like that! I admit I have friends who are more likely to join me for an adventure than others. They are usually the ones I call first. I'd like to think I'm a "Yes Girl" too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my list of "Yes Girl" friends that I turn to first. It's almost too much work sometimes to invite and coordinate with the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could people possibly say 'no' in your special part of the world - such a beautiful sky and lake reflections. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish all of you lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could be more of a Yes Girl. Maybe once the kids are grown and out of the house I can be one. Wish wish wish...hope hope hope. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, I love this! I especially love this part "...but I realize that in keeping the focus strictly on me I can leave out people who might want to come along, that bond you can only create through shared adventure." I need to keep these words to heart; sometimes, I too, get too focused on a goal, or mileage or fitness. And there are other ways to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i have to keep reminding myself. All. The. Time.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!