Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The pail list

Recently I came to a startling realization.

I have no bucket list.

Doesn't everyone have a bucket list? I don't mean goals, like run a marathon, or get to some elusive weight, or publish a book. I mean, a destination/adventure travel bucket list. 

I don't have one!

Why? I can only wonder. Perhaps it is because for most of my career, I have been unable to take much time off in a row. Working in wilderness and recreation, you're pretty much chained to the season. It's one crisis after another, search and rescues, avalanches, messy toilets--whatever it is, you have it. I didn't have a lot of time to dream about jetting off to exotic locales.

Or...is it because I'm boring?

Noooo.

My bucket list is more like....a pail. A kid's pail that they use at the beach. 

First of all, in my world a bucket list is just that. It's not something you might like to do if conditions aligned--say if someone showed up with a plane ticket and said, "Hey, Monkey Bars, you can stay in my castle in Scotland for free!" Nope. To me, the items on a bucket list are there because they claw at you until  you give in. You absolutely must do them before you die.

If I had to make a pail list right now, there would  only be a few things on it:

1. Section hike the PCT. A month at a time. None of this must hurry back to work stuff!

2. Hike the Colorado Trail (500 mi-Durango to Denver) Preferably in one go.

3. Belize.

4. A multi-day kayak camping trip, preferably not  in endless rain. Haida Gwaii, Broken Islands, Salt Spring Island. Or somewhere warm and tropical.

5.  Iceland.

6.  Kepler Track, New Zealand. Or, Tasmania to see the places I didn't. With someone who wouldn't dump me in a few months after I used all my frequent flier miles on him. (I'm not bitter at all).


8. Brooks Range.

9. Northern lights, skiing, hot springs, Whitehorse?

10. Hot air balloon ride.

Actually ten isn't bad! Now all I want to know is..who wants to go with me on some of these?

What's  on your travel/adventure bucket list?

22 comments:

  1. I game for sleeping in a tree! Hey I actually spent 21 nights in a tree. It was when I was young, and it was in a bed that I made out of twine and timbers. I loved it. The funnest way I ever slept. Would really love to make at tree bed our summer place so I can just lay back and relax. I just haven't found the right grouping of trees yet. I promise I'll pick up all my twine and leave the area like I found it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! When I hear from the tree company, I will let you know..

      Delete
  2. I don't have a bucket list either, but I could certainly throw together a wishlist in about 30 seconds. Mostly this is due to a really good reason: Life is Good. I'm living my life, right now. Yes, I might be working as a Waitress to finance the adventures but I'm having my fun and adventure right now, while I can. I feel pretty darn fortunate about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but you are a waitress in a beautiful place...you have more adventures than anyone I know.

      Delete
  3. Love your pail list! Ooo a night in a tree- that’s a good one. :)

    I’ve just got one item. Long-distance hike. Always fascinated by people who have these really long lists, with tons of varied things on them. I’m excessively focused. Ten items seems well-balanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which long distance hike? Or just long distance hikes in general? That could probably have substituted for many of mine...

      Delete
    2. Oh snap! The PCT of course...

      Delete
  4. For #9, I'd recommend Chena Hot Springs Resort near Fairbanks. It has all of those things, plus it is a small enough operation that it feels secluded.

    I'd also like to do Iceland. Take me along when you decide to go, please. In the near future, I think I'd like to meet some of the pretty Canada mountains, perhaps Banff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in spite of all the hours I spent laboring over a fire so it would not cross the Chena River I never got to go to the hot springs. Very disappointed! Banff is on my wish list for sure.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I know someone there! She even has a spare bedroom. :)

      Delete
  5. Cool list. I'm more like Leslie. I have a wish list. It's at least 30 pages long. Most things on there are unrealistic. And it keeps changing.

    I'm with you on all of your northern dreams. Beat and I are going to Tolovana Hot Springs, north of Fairbanks, with a couple of friends on Dec. 25 and 26. That's an incredible place — 11 mile hike-ski in over a dome, and then you have three hot pools and big skies often all to yourself.

    Whitehorse is a super fun city but there aren't really any hot springs nearby. But the trails! So many winter trails. Fairbanks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I really like the sound of tolovana. it might make my list.

      Delete
  6. On the first day of this century I put my New Century's Resolutions online, which is essentially a bucket list. I add a report on how things are going every new year's. Over the years I've accomplished some, abandoned one, worked towards some, let some go dormant, and added a few.

    There was one common goal with your list there, Iceland, which I did visit in 2004. I can recommend it.

    I may add some hiking goals this coming update. There are some peakbagging lists I'm already working on which I should put on the list so I can check them off when I finish. I also might finally admit that through hiking the AT is something I actually have at least a chance of doing before I die. And I've always been kind of fascinated with Gros Morne.

    Anyway, here's the URL: http://www.cookhimes.us/dennis/ncr.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing other people's lists.

      Delete
  7. Like Leslie, I have a wish list, maybe more than a bucket list.
    Although the Colorado Trail may have just made it on.

    I'd recommend Yoho over Banff, as beautiful as Banff is. Also, Kananaskis Country outside of Banff. Can't help myself; I keep returning to these mountains despite all the other options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting some great ideas!

      Delete
    2. This is good advice. I would say Yoho/Lake Louise/Icefields Parkway has the highest concentration of mindblowing scenery in my mind.

      Jasper is the best for backpacking if your not into crowds but still into awsome scenery.

      Delete
    3. I looked at your self-propelled adventure blog (very cool) and those areas look very intriguing!

      Delete
  8. I also don't have a bucket (or pail) list, just a constantly evolving list of potential awesomeness based on the season, what's going on in my life, and who I can share it with. That said, I would really, really like to go and bicycle / backpacking around South America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lke the idea of potential awesomeness! I'd like to check out Torres Del Paine.

      Delete
    2. Torres Del Paine is high on my wish list. One day.

      Delete
  9. My list is huge and always changing. Next up will be bicycle touring down the Rhine river from the Swiss Alps to Amsterdam.

    Like Allison, bicycle touring and backpacking around South America is somthing I dream about almost daily.

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!