Sunday, February 9, 2014

Plans with Friends

For my day outings, I really don't like to make plans. Instead I like to decide what I'm going to do when I wake up. Commitment is hard. However, this doesn't work out well if I want to do things with other people. Most people aren't so fond of someone who has no need for caffeine chirping in their phone at six am: "Hey! Let's snowshoe to Aneroid Lake! It's twelve miles, and it'll be a brutal slog, but let's see if we can do it!"

Silence.

No. So I do end up making plans. Lately we have had All of The Snow, so I have been skiing and snowshoeing with friends. And despite my commitment phobic nature, it's been good. Yesterday the Freak of Nature (so named by me because of her inhuman level of fitness) and I skied from my house in the canyon. It's rare we get to do this, because of lack of good snow and yahoos who like to drive the road and get stuck, leaving no room for ski tracks. But the foot of snow we got pretty much shut them down and we had it all to ourselves.

This is a picnic table in the campground. I don't know why, but this picture makes me giggle.
 Going on adventures with friends means you get to do fun things like make snow angels and laugh at your buddy when she pretty much gets buried and can't get up.


Our snow angels look a little deformed:


I balanced out the social time with a solo Slog of Brutality on snowshoes today on the same road. Because I never walk in ski tracks, even if they are mine and nobody else has even come that way, I plodded along at a blistering pace of about 40 minutes to the mile in the deep, unconsolidated snow.
 The trail was completely deserted.

The avalanche danger is very high right now, so I couldn't go very far up it before I had to plod back down the road. Visions of six starving pets if I didn't come back were enough to overcome my usual sense of disappointment at not continuing on.

It's interesting to me how some people always want to be around others because I don't feel that way. I love the time I spend with friends, but there are some things I want to keep to myself.  I need big chunks of time to be silent, write novels in my head, dream about the Colorado Trail. (Someday, my pretty.) 

So rest assured, your phone won't ring at six in the morning with a super annoying Morning Person at the other end. Plans? Okay, I will make them, as long as I have my Brutality Slogs mixed in.

Do you always have adventures with others, or do you sometimes go solo? Do other people think you're strange and include on a list of faults about you? (Oh wait. Ex boyfriend did that. Thankfully long gone!) Want to hike the Colorado Trail in 2015? 

10 comments:

  1. Love all that wonderful snow you have! The Portland area got a rare snowstorm this weekend and there was 6 inches at my house. It was so fun to cross country ski from my doorstep! I, too like to sometimes hike or ski solo. It's nice to have some "me" time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great to ski from your house. I saw some snowy pdx pics_

      Delete
  2. I think this is one of my favorite posts. Had me laughing from start to finish. I'm a fan of snowy picnic tables too, the snow is just so perfectly piled up that it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's like someone did it on purpose!

      Delete
  3. Ah, the burden of introverts. I would probably go unhinged if deprived of solo time outdoors for long enough.

    I am also emphatically not a morning person. I have a friend who used to live in Michigan (now San Francisco; we're almost neighbors) who is such an extrovert that she couldn't bear her morning commute time alone and would call whoever answered to chat. She also seemed to have no concept of time zones so the 5 a.m. wakeup calls in Alaska to a cheerful "hi, I'm driving, what are you up to?!" were rarely met with enthusiasm. Your post reminded me of these calls; I had to laugh.

    That said ... I love doing relaxed trips with others. There's usually time to drift off and do your own thing at least once a day. Are you really looking for hiking partners for the Colorado Trail next year? I'm intrigued. Keep me posted on your plans. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can get the time off...Yes! You scare me a little but I think I'd just give you all of the things to carry.

      Delete
  4. All The Snow!! I think the table is funny because it looks like something that would have a face and walk around in a Disney movie.

    I've done a lot of day trips alone, it's good to be able to go at your own speed and have time to reflect. But I'm not as brave on overnight trips alone as you are - I get easily spooked!

    Keep skiing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get spooked sometimes too! I have definitely moved my camp in situations when it did not feel right.

      Delete
  5. Now me, I wouldn't mind a 6am call to go snowshoeing one bit. But I'm one of those annoying [VERY] early risers who is perky and cheerful and at my best in the morning. I also NEED my Alone time, especially outdoors in the true quiet (i.e. no human associated noises). I don't plan much either, another advantage of doing the solo thing. So I have to ask: SIX pets? At last count I thought there were 3 dogs and 2 cats....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You missed one cat! We have three..

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!