Monday, October 20, 2014

I think I was in Albuquerque

At least, that's what my travel documents say. I mostly saw the inside of conference rooms. Work travel, when you don't have a car with you, can be challenging. I feel uneasy without a stockpile of food nearby, and I always make sure there's a hotel gym, if I can't run outside. You don't really want to run outside in downtown ABQ, by the way, unless you enjoy panhandlers and overall sketchiness.

So these things happened:

1. A lady in the gift store told me her life story as I tried to edge away with my chocolate, ranging from weight problems to a career change. She was nice but she was standing between me and my chocolate!

2. I discovered the interesting machine that is a Spin bike. Three of us spun along to nowhere, accompanied by Ebola TV. (Spin bikes are kind of fun actually. I like standing up).

3. I saw a man in a kilt, another one whose fashion accessory was a bandanna tied around his head, and various very, very short skirts on millennials. Not entirely conference attire, but to each his own.

4.  A LAP POOL. OUTSIDE. IN THE SUN. ON THE ROOF. LOVE.

5.  Two different people said I looked like someone they knew, and two others thought I was my sister. (I get people saying I look like someone they know a lot. Do you? It's weird. It has happened all my life).

6. I SIGNED MY BOOK CONTRACT!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am getting a novel published by a REAL PUBLISHER. (more on this later). Psst:  published writers! I need to put your names down for copies to be sent to you! If you don't like it, you don't have to review it or blurb it, I just need names now, before November 1! Message me and I will....will...send you cookies!

7. I found out that my ex's long term girlfriend has MY SAME LAST NAME. Which is not common. And kind of creepy.

8. I got lost in the hotel twice and had to follow a creepy labyrinth out to the lobby. Seriously. Who locks all the stair doors so you can't climb the stairs?

9. As I was giving my presentation, a marathon was being held on the street below. I snuck some glances at the people running. I don't pay to run, but it was inspiring to see the different shapes and sizes struggling along out there. Also, lots of cheering which I pretended was for my presentation.

10. I won a Deuter day pack at the silent auction for $70! Score!

What are some things that happened in your world this week? Please comment! I love comments!


20 comments:

  1. So the scoop on running in ABQ is kinda grim, huh? I am going to be there in a few weeks and was hoping for some nice trail running. Might have to have a rental car to get to the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there is good running there somewhere, just not where we stayed. It looked like the trails started only 1.5 miles from the hotel (Hyatt) but I just wasn't sure about running by myself to get there. I think a car would be a good idea.

      Delete
  2. #6 Yay! #7 That is definitely creepy. #10: Wondered if you would score something good at the auctions....looked like a lot of good swag being offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I bet all sorts of discussion in his family about the last name.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the future novel Mary, can't wait to read it!
    Let me see... What happend in my world this past weekend.
    Well I went for a walk amongst the golden trees, the Tamaracks are so beautiful
    right now and I felt so blessed to be walking beneath them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are so enjoying the Tamaracks as the hardwoods lose their color here in the northwoods....thanks for the image.

      Delete
    2. The latches are out here too! So pretty.

      Delete
  4. I've been to downtown ABQ, it is a little sketchy in some places...but not in a way different from other cities. Who needs running when there's a rooftop lap pool? I love me some swimming! Congrats on the book deal, can't wait to hear more about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool was great. Nobody else seemed to be in it, which was curious.

      Delete
    2. Sounds even more like the perfect pool, then.

      Delete
  5. #3 Someone wore a kilt to the conference? Now granted, I don't know the conference topic, but that sounds interesting. I had to look up the term "millennials" (yes indeed, I'm out of touch with the modern world). I really like kilts actually, I think more men should wear skirts ;-)
    #5 - Me too. It hasn't happened in awhile, but it used to be really common for people to think they knew me from somewhere (in all kinds of different geographic locations).
    #6 - YAY! Fantastic. I can't wait to read it.
    #7 - yes, VERY Creepy.
    #8- I've been in those kind of hotels before too. endless concrete corridors - creepy. The locked doors to the room floors is fairly common in big cities I think. I've encountered it before too.

    I had a wonderful weekend at home. Roger came over from Idaho and met me and we got our trailer hooked up to my rig and had the tires checked and inflated and loaded up firewood for me to bring back. I managed to bag a deer and we also got out to the range so he could sight in my 6.5 x 55 to borrow for one of his hunts in Idaho. We had great meals (how awesome to be able to get organic greens and grassfed/finished meat in restaurants!) and really enjoyed spending the weekend together at home. The downside is that it was very expensive (hotels and meals out....ouch) and there are bills I can't pay and things I need that I can't purchase as a result. sigh. I wonder if I can pick up a second job in town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you come here? Let me know next time and if I'm gone you can stay here. No dogs though I guess...the cats would freak out.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the book! I have been reading for a long time. I hope more derails are coming soon. - Tracy Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Will write about it soon. Still doesn't seem real.

      Delete
    2. Um, details, not derails. No derails!

      Delete
    3. Haha I did not even notice that!

      Delete
  7. But...It.Is.Real!!!! Yay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the book deal! Super duper exciting!

    Love going to gyms/pools in different places, so totally understand #4.

    This week? Found a free yoga class here which was pretty darn awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!