Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Feral

I'll be honest here, because if you lie in a blog, what's the point? I really didn't feel like backpacking. More to the point, I was tired of overnights. Overnights are just a tease. It's a big gear-up for only a brief time outside. It's not long enough to forget about what you have left behind. I could hike out right now, you think, and be at home with everyone I care about. It takes longer than that to become feral.
Night #47. 3 to go to reach the goal. 

But I went, because the pull of inertia has taken too many of my friends. They no longer climb mountains or ride their bikes or do any of the things they used to do. I am starting to see what age can do to people and I don't want to give in. 

It's not easy to get to Eureka Bar. The drive is not for the faint-hearted, a slippery, rock-studded one-laner poised over the canyon. Meet a horse trailer and you have to back up for a long way. You'd better hope you're good at it. People have died on this road. It can take an hour to go 18 miles.

The trail itself is simple, winding from one river to another, but it is fringed with poison ivy and blackberry. You push your way through, hoping for the best. And then you make it to the bar, the hills colored blond, the sound of the river filling up the night, the moon glowing over everything. And it was worth it. It always is.




13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! So glad you went, even for one night. And to see green grass, and the river flowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Eureka Bar farther upstream from where the Salmon enters the Snake?

      Delete
    2. Yes. Though I've hiked to salmon bar also.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, sometimes I tell myself the same thing, "Is it really worth it?" Then I make the effort to get out and am always glad I did. Right now I'm really missing hiking. It's amazing how much you miss something when you are unable to do it. Travel some trails for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, I forgot about your surgery! (slinks away in shame). Yes, I am lucky.

      Delete
    2. I have this thought quite often when I'm headed out -- 'is it worth it?'. I'll wake up super early, or drive a really long ways for an adventure and these thoughts usually enter my head at some point in there. What keeps me going though is yes -- it always has been worth it. I don't think I've ever regretted getting out on a trip (but I have regretted not getting out).

      Delete
  3. 7 words I refuse to say but hear others say all the time. ( I'am getting to old to do this) Never give in Never surrender and keep those legs moving!!
    Good for you Mary, glad you got out another night...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate your honesty because we all feel that way sometimes. We set goals but for us overachievers, we usually set them tall. I seem to have gained the word procrastination as part of my maturing process. I don't like it, but it seems to have gained a firm foothold over the past few years, maybe decade. I find myself her on 12/10 with yet another 90+ miles to go to achieve my 1,000 miles for the year. Storms are lined up one after another, I know it'll be a challenge to get in at least 4 miles per day, but I'm determined.

    BTW, thanks for your consistent postings. I have several posts I'd like to publish, don't know why I've been procrastinating . . . time to get those done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting to read them! We are in the same boat for storms.

      Delete
  5. I agree on the overnights. It takes far too much prep to go for just one night. To make it worth the trouble of packing, the trip should be a minimum of 3 or 4 nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, agree! Just need to find the time and a place without a lot of snow.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!