Friday, February 27, 2015

Tame: April at Campo

In about a month, Flash and I will toe the Mexico-US border at Campo, California and begin hiking the PCT north. We won't be alone.

Ahhhhhhh!

The graph above represents the thru-hikers (people hiking 500 miles or more) who are now required to get a permit at the start of the PCT. The quota is fifty people per day; the total number of permits possible to give out is 4600. On our start date it looks like 18 people have already gotten a permit, and that doesn't include section hikers like ourselves. (My mileage may total 500 on the pct this year--besides this 110 mile section, I hope to hike 256 miles in the northern Sierras and possibly some Oregon September hiking). 

Eighteen people?! I don't even like hiking around eight people. Yes, I am spoiled. But glad we are going early! Look at those late April dates! Where will everyone camp? Will there be enough water sources? Where will everyone poop? Is this many people in the desert even sustainable?

Most of our camps will be dry ones. There is one 30 mile water carry already that we have heard of.  It will be hot. There is already a search underway for someone who is missing in the general vicinity of where our hike will be ending. It's easy to underestimate the desert.

Planning has been pretty minimal; it's only 110 miles. We're hiking to Warner Springs and getting a shuttle back to San Diego there. I know both of us will want to keep going but, well, jobs. We've mapped out a pretty sane schedule which includes a 20 mile day but some shorter ones, and if we get done early we'll just hang out on the beach in San Diego.

Flash has hiked in the California desert before; I haven't. My only experience with it was on a soul-destroying wildfire near Cabazon. Under lockdown because of gangs, we slept in a city park while locals slowly drove around the perimeter. An inmate crew got burned over. A helicopter crashed in power lines. My crew, out of shape and lazy, sat down on the hills. One guy had to be evacuated because he was stung by so many wasps. It, my friends, was not a good time.

But this will be. Flash and I have dealt with many things over our PCT tenure: golf-ball sized hail, torrential rains of the century, cutthroat campsite competition, river crossings, and a family playing a cello late into the night. We can do this!

13 comments:

  1. Sound like a grand adventure! Have a great time! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were along to take photos! But I will do my best to capture it. Especially flowers. I hope there are flowers.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary - Mt. Hood got snow yesterday! Three glorious inches! Sadly, though I had to work. But I'm heading to Bend today.

      Delete
    3. Yay! Three inches are better than none! Happy skiing!

      Delete
  2. Goodluck. I look forward to reading about it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I plan to take along a notebook and keep a journal on this hike. I don't always, but it's so different than anything I've experienced.

      Delete
  3. It'll be fun to compare desert notes. Guess I could just jump over from the AZT. I'll be in the best shape to keep at it. Planning . . . hmmmm! Just need a day, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan that would be great! We start the 4th. haha! You will be an expert by then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary, glad you found my blog, decided to visit yours. Sounds like you will have fun. Bummer, a job has to interfere, lol. I will be reading your previous posts. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, John. The job is the challenge as it funds my adventures. I envy those who have figured out how to avoid working fulltime.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Good luck! If you need any assistance (Trail Angels) in the Big Bear area please find me via FB (Amber Woodyard) would love to be of help. That is a massive hike you are undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. adidas zx shoes suddenly a black eyes, a man covered her eyes and mouth. cheap is adidas zx shoes cheap at the thought that with his joking, adidas zx shoes They swaying, evil smile adidas factory outlet walked around cheap in. cheap waiting for cheap out, but suddenly his hands were caught apparently not a person to http://www.legitwebdesign.com.au get his adidas zx shoes own. Not cheap, and that is a stranger.

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!