Thursday, March 19, 2015

This is what normal looks like







Crikey! I haven't gone anywhere exciting for a month! All of my fellow bloggers are in some weird little town in Alaska pushing bikes through snow, hiking the Arizona Trail, training for Boston...weather, work and other boring things have kept me at home every weekend. I know, who is this person?

But you know, you can find pretty nice places even close to home. My running route today is a mile from my house (Yes. I drove to it today. Shoot me. I don't like pavement). I thought, I'll take my camera! And take pictures! And maybe cross the elk fence for once! 

Back in the day when I ran competitively (not for a team, just trying to beat everyone I could), taking a camera on a run meant I wasn't a real runner. Now that I don't pay to run, and since I've been running longer than some of you have been alive (ahem..Karen) I don't take things as seriously. I want to run forever, so I need to switch it up once in a while. So here's my moraine run for today. Come along...

First, you climb. Puff puff puff.

It's pretty rocky. Give up those PR times. This first fence is a step-over...

 Here's the elk fence. It's very very tall. If I ever can't fit under it, I know it's time to diet.
The view as you slide under fence #2, wishing it was smooth strand...


There's actually a flat section  in the middle and a lone tree.


The view is pretty nice....

Before my run, I was feeling a little cranky. I had a brief window of time when I could have gone to the canyon for an overnight trip. I had to be back for a conference call (Seriously. Who schedules calls for late in the day on the last Friday of a pay period? But my purpose is to serve, so I will be there, with more comp time), so that meant most accessible areas were out of reach. I wasn't feeling very zen about life. But as it happens after a run, or a hike, or some kind of exercise, things get put into perspective. I mean, who needs to enter a Tough Mudder? Here I have four fences to negotiate, plenty of mud, maybe even a cow or two to dodge. You can't really beat the scenery. If this is what normal looks like, it's pretty great after all.


20 comments:

  1. Great photos. I think your normal is someone else's bucket list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right! No airport or pool but plenty of scenery!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ann, I would like snow-capped peaks to be my normal. Thanks for sharing your run with us, I like seeing bloggers' daily routes! You should do more of these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I always think my daily activities aren't that interesting. But maybe they are. I saw zero kitties today.

      Delete
  3. You live in an amazing place! This is where we city folk go on vacation. And I always run races with camera in hand. So you're not the only one who takes photos on their runs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, a friend scoffed teasingly at me taking a camera. I guess he remembers the old, competitive me.

      Delete
  4. It's easy to forget that what's normal to us is breathtaking and a place to visit once a year to others. I've heard comments like that from residents of the place I live, too. Good on you to recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I tend to think I should be out having big adventures on weekends to mitigate the office work, but sometimes you just cant.

      Delete
  5. I also think normal things are nice...somewhere someone is taking your normal and portraying it as if it's an epic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. You are probably right. In fact, people living here, not many, but some have been known to not walk in that location because, you know, wolves might carry them off.

      Delete
  6. I feel that way every time people write about alaska...like, calm down, people, we live here and it's all normal to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Alaska mystique always cracks me up. the people living way out in the bush...now that's unique. Sitka...well, I did get to fly in float planes. But I also had Internet, running water, a Safeway. So....pretty normal.

      Delete
  7. Fun! Glad you were able to squeak in a run to chase the crankies away. The kids are at my heels daily. "Is it time yet?" "Did you reserve a campsite yet?" they ask. To them the big city is normal, so they love visiting your normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear, it's fun to see them when they come here. Kids who like nature are getting harder to find.

      Delete
  8. Some of you might be interested in this Heather Lende article about another Haines, Alaska, writer. --Tom, Fairbanks

    http://www.adn.com/article/20150313/really-rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom, I follow her blog but haven't seen this one.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cheap ray ban sunglasses uk vehicles parked in cheap ray bans uk front of Zhiyi Sheng grandmother, and then from the car wearing uniforms chased down three men, led by a fiercely on foot in a tomato. Burst cheap ray ban sunglasses uk cheap ray ban sunglasses uk tomato juice flowing around, grandmother and hurried from the cheap ray ban sunglasses uk ground up and shouted, ray ban sunglasses cheap uk you stepped on my tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not know you, lacoste pas cher know nothing about you, tommy hilfiger soldes now I do not know you. tommy hilfiger soldes from the care of your ralph lauren pas cher dress and your disgusting dirty action, only to see it in tommy hilfiger soldes your eyes loneliness and pride. cheap just about to open, but to hear tommy hilfiger soldes cheap spoke again unclear what relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!