Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rainpalooza

Guys! GUYS!!! The rain? It's following me across the country! Help!

I lived for seven years in a place where it rained nearly every day, 110 inches a year. Like anything else, I got used to it, forgetting somehow that there was anything but rain. When I first moved there, I used to go out for a run swathed in rain gear, but by the last year I was running in just a T and shorts. When I camped out, I was an expert at tarp setting and dry suit wearing. The darkness and cloudy days affected me more than I knew, and I was glad, in the end, to escape.

I've lost the desire to march in downpours for hours on end, and camping in it? No. Don't wanna. But since the deluge has not let up, I've had to embrace the brutality. And it's not all that bad. (Just please go away soon. Like by this weekend. Because I have a backpacking trip planned).

STOOOOOOP.


But nobody likes a Whiny McWhinerson, so some good things about the weather on my cross country travels the past few weeks...

Nobody wants to brave the muddy North Country Trail!

 
Waterfalls are huge!

and even bigger the more it rains...



A four mile slog, gaining 4000 feet in elevation with no views....well...

At least I have Girl Scout cookies!

When I left Sitka, a few fellow escapees and I told ourselves we wouldn't become soft. We wouldn't carry umbrellas. We would always stand in the rain in cotton sweatshirts talking instead of screaming and running inside! We would never have hairstyles that we had to blow dry! We would do our long runs even in horizontal rain and we would always go camping!

Well, I still do most of those things. But it took seven years of rain to really appreciate the sun. I will never take it for granted again.

12 comments:

  1. Rain turned to snow here, at least for a day. Fun to recognize Miner's Castle shoreline in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Laughing Whitefish Falls. Girl Scout cookies can be lifesavers, and actually were for two women stuck on a snow-covered road this winter! Sending sun thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like more rain. might have to go anyway.

      Delete
  2. Girl Scout cookies freeze well. Let them embrace the snow. :) If you haven't melted in the rain yet, you won't. Have fun backpacking this weekend. I'm sending our 80° sunshine your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can it be so different just four hours apart?!

      Delete
    2. Looks like we will have T-storms while at the cabin tomorrow then on Tuesday at home, otherwise still hot. Hope backpacking trip turns out for you.

      Delete
    3. Looks like we will have T-storms while at the cabin tomorrow then on Tuesday at home, otherwise still hot. Hope backpacking trip turns out for you.

      Delete
  3. Girl Scout cookies freeze well. Let them embrace the snow. :) If you haven't melted in the rain yet, you won't. Have fun backpacking this weekend. I'm sending our 80° sunshine your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PICTURED ROCKS!! I've backpacked a lot of places, but that was one of my favorite trips ever. Funny how I grew up just a few hours from it and didn't visit ONCE until I moved over 2,000 mi away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way with Isle Royale NP. My parents have pictures of me when little camped in places in Pictured Rocks where you can't camp now. Because it's such a short hiking season where I live I haven't gone back there to backpack as an adult, yet. Didn't you run a long section?

      Delete
    2. The North Country Trail through the Pictured Rocks has such a varied terrain in 40 miles. Yes, muddy stretches, also long sandy beaches, rocky coves and ledges, cliffs high above Lake Superior, interior lakes, waterfalls....love, love

      Delete
  5. Although I will hike and run in the rain, it's not my favorite weather. (But ski in the rain......no f'in way!!) Love those GS thin mints! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you getting the rain we are having? It's quite bizarre.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!