Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The highest lake in Oregon


Legore Lake is one of those places you only go when you've forgotten how truly awful the trail was to get there. Gaining four thousand feet in as many miles, it climbs straight up. There's a boulder field to negotiate. But that's not the hard part. What makes this trail a challenge are the eroded pebbles that lurk, just waiting to slip you up. On the way out, I fell three times. T fell once, but she slid off the trail and had to self arrest. That's what it's like getting to the highest lake in Oregon.

This picture doesn't really show the true terror and pitch of the trail, but it does show the Pebbles of Doom.
But you know, it's there, so you have to go. Right?
The trail was used by a miner. This is the remains of one of his cabins. A beautiful view but an arduous approach! People were tougher back then.

You have to commit to the boulder field. Yes, you are going  way up there. The first time I ever hiked up here I encountered two runners. Running this trail? Ha ha ha. No.

And follow a goat trail above the basin:

















And finally you are there. A bighorn sheep stood at one of the highest points above the lake, looking down. I liked to think that it was reflectively gazing at the beautiful lake, but it was probably thinking, why are people at my lake?


The lake was super low, a result of both the drought and the fact that huge helicopters dipped out of it for weeks. Kind of sad to see. But the sun was warm, nobody else was around, and another trip on the trail had been survived without serious injury. I won't go back for a few years. Maybe.

9 comments:

  1. The toughest hikes are always the most worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I kind of hobbled into yoga though!

      Delete
  2. Yikes....but can see why you persisted....it's beautiful. Glad you two survived the four falls between you. Thanks for taking us along so we didn't have to handle the Pebbles of Doom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't take anyone on the Pebbles, but some people seem to handle them just fine.

      Delete
  3. I live in Oregon! I'll have to check this out, looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra! Where do you live? There are so many great places to hike!

      Delete
  4. Haha, I'll never forget the "goat trail" you took me on.
    Glad you survived the pebbles and boulders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I'll never forget the "goat trail" you took me on.
    Glad you survived the pebbles and boulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll remember "Back" button will duplicate comment.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!