Friday, November 27, 2015

Talk to me in April

Dear winter,
Hi. In the past few years we had forgotten what you were like. Maybe below zero temperatures in November was a bit much, but you've gotten our attention. I'm kind of a fan right now, but may not be in April if you are still here. For now, bring on the snow. (except when I need to drive two hours to the airport.) Your friend, monkeybars.

Last year, I skied a grand total of ten times. I've already gone four times this year. Winter has arrived and taken us all by surprise. There's already avalanches in the backcountry. Lakes have frozen. We can ski in places we never even set foot last year. Like the state park:

Skiing by water is the best
I really kind of love closed campgrounds. I don't know why.



We did some laps up at Salt Creek on Thanksgiving and saw nobody else.


Today I snowshoed a loop around our little skating lake. The woods are always quiet here. I'd be really sad to live in a place where you saw people all the time.

Looks like some shoveling needs to happen!
The snow had turned strange. With every step I took, giant plates shattered. It sounded like I was walking through broken glass. Every animal in a mile radius scattered. 


 Living here, you have to embrace winter. I have to admit, my season is summer. Not a sultry or sun-baked one but the alpine summer we get here, where you have to pull on a puffy in most evenings, a short-lived cool breeze but warm enough to swim kind of summer. I'm not as much of a winter lover as Flash, who hopes there is snow on the trails until June. But a sunny, snowy winter that will change our drought and keep the fires away? That I can get behind.

Ice chips! Yum.
Are you having a winter yet? Want to come here and play in ours?

19 comments:

  1. Oh I'd love to come and play in your snow! Mt Hood is just getting small amounts.....not enough to open any ski hill beyond the bunny slope (which to me is not considered open!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little ski area opened today! It's so early! All of last year it was only open for two weeks. I thought you had more snow over there.

      Delete
    2. J. must be in ski/snow heaven! It's great how volunteers work together to keep Fergie open and going.

      Delete
  2. Would love to come and play in yours.....we have only about an inch and on the trail we walked today farther east...no snow at all. I think you have our UP snow, but that's okay...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange! But after the last two years it's probably nice.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Early & strong! Seems the west coast skipped ahead to winter, while the east coast is stuck in summer! I love winter, but I would like to make it across the U.S. safely first before seeing it;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see friends' Facebook pictures of back east right now it's so hard to comprehend. What? No snow? I wish I could come to one of your talks.

      Delete
  4. Interesting. The winter forecast by NOAA's climate prediction center is still for above normal temps and below avg precip for NE Oregon. I'm glad you have snow, much better than rain (and ice). In John Day we've had rain and then a bit of wet snow, and of course, ice. It's been sunny for 4 days though, and that is fantastic. I crave sun more than anything.
    I'll be driving up there later this week. I'll find out if the new 'traction' tires are workable alternatives to my studded tires....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it will be cold and sunny for the next few days. It's just been very, very cold for this early. And Fergie is open, the first time in recent memory. I don't like ice at all, except to skate on.

      Delete
  5. Yes, winter is here as well. Only about an inch of snow fell Tuesday. Now temps are mid teens low 20's. I'll take this weather though over our windstorm that left thousands without power week before last. After the drive to Seattle last Monday I think I can do without snowy/icy roads for the rest of the winter. I can dream, right? For now bring on the snow and the mountain snow pack, because I don't want another remake of last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I don't get it when I see people complain about snow and then in summer about smoke. It all is related. I hate snowy, icy roads, especially on the Rattlesnake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the stats for our windstorm. Approximately 457,000 Eastern WA and Northern ID electric customers were without power as a result of the storm.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Living in the tropics, I just love reading of your snow adventures. Fabulous that so much snow has arrived for you. Think of me heading out into sticky,
    30C plus as you glide across the white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this strange desire to spend a year in the tropics. I'd miss skiing but I'd love swimming and snorkeling every day!

      Delete
  8. A short radio interview about "The Geography of Water" on Sitka's community radio station:

    http://www.kcaw.org/2015/11/25/the-geography-of-water-a-love-story-to-southeast/


    Tom
    Fairbanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing photos of your winter wonderland, and hearing about the quiet you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your way back north, you should stop!

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!