Friday, January 8, 2016

Post Trail Blues

I've got the post trail blues,
Don't wanna put away my hiking shoes...

Freedom of the trail. It is hard to leave it and go back to a regimented life. It is so simple out there. Am I hungry, what should I eat, where is the next water, where should I put my tent? The comforting arc of the sky, the headlamp army of our friends nearby as we prepare our beds for the night. You need to be out more than one day to really know, and once you are, it is hard to come back.

First world problems, but coming back from the Canyon has been hard. What do you mean, "work"? I don't wanna! Can't I just hike?

I am dealing with this in two ways: 1) get out on day trips as much as I can; and 2) prepare for another trip.

I broke out the snowshoes today and it is true, in some cases you really can keep up with the fat bike:

It was steeper than it looked. He said, "Don't get a picture of me pushing the bike!" So there it is. Not pushing.
Trends are slow to come to Wallowa County, but we happened upon some more fat bikers! There are now six in the county! There was only one last year, so a 600% increase!

The bike in the foreground is a Roman Cycles, made in a small town in Oregon. Pretty nice! Want one? Email me or write in the comments.

 Since I got back I have been trail running, skiing and snowshoeing. Even if it's not something epic, it still helps. Which brings me to the next trip...

As for the next trip, I have been planning for my next assault on the PCT, California section B, from Warner Springs to Cabazon. Alert readers will recall we did Section A last April. I have been fortunate enough to fall in with another hiker much like myself. We are not planning on hiking together all the time, since we both enjoy our solo time, but this section is a challenging one on several fronts (a confusing fire closure and alternate, possible snow in the San Jacintos) so it is good to know that we will have each other out there if needed. If all goes well, I will set foot on the PCT in April and walk about 100 miles. (The summer trip, I will talk about later.) Anyone hiked this? Let me know how it was...

Some people never really recover from the post trip blues. They hop from one trail to another, California to New Zealand, but eventually you do have to come home. Home is a great place, you just need to figure out how to make it work for you. For me, I have tiny adventures until I can afford to have big ones.

Do you have post trail blues (or post big event blues, like running a marathon)? How do you re-enter life without being a Cranky McCrankerson? Or is that just me?



9 comments:

  1. Yes! It's becoming harder and harder for me to weave myself back into everyday home life. The funny thing is, I don't know if I'd love being away all the time either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. I hate being away from the kitties so much, and to a lesser extent, my cute house. It's definitely a tug of war.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, I am not fit to be around when I suffer from post hike blues! I look at my Saturday hikes/snowshoes/skis as mini escapes and they get me through the work week, but I always have to have something bigger in the works. This time it will be hiking in a few weeks time in one of your southern states. Fat tire biking is growing in leaps and bounds here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad I'm not the only one! Which southern states?

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I'm always bummed when I come back from a great vacation and have to get back into the daily work routine...But I do love my weekends, and try to get in some type of outdoor adventure at least one of the days. I envy you with your quick wilderness access.....Mt Hood is great but traffic can be a pain in the *** on these winter days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am lucky. Only a couple of miles away and never crowded.

      Delete
  4. You are in such a great area for micro adventures, but I definitely hear you on post-trail blues. I have them all the time. I do think we get out there a lot, but I am jealous of others who are on one trail or another what seems like all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live quite an adventurous life but I get it. It could always be better! I also envy young, retired people. That would be ideal.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!