Thursday, October 13, 2016

the way we change

It's been my experience that as most people grow older they become more set in their ways. I've hiked with people who firmly state their preferences, from food to men to climate, with no intention of bending any of them. Which is fine; one of the few perks of getting older is to know what you want and not waste time on things that you don't like or appreciate. But for me, I think it's good to leave a little room for change. I was recently thinking of all the ways I have evolved in the seven years since leaving Alaska:

1) I didn't like dogs.

I LOVE her.

2) I didn't ride bikes

I was missing out on a great activity.

3) I said I would never get married

oops.

4) I was fiercely devoted to running as my main activity, with kayaking a close second

I've discovered how much I love long distance hiking. It gives me way more than running ever did.
5)My house had to be neat at all times
No pictures of this. I will spare you. I spend more time outside than cleaning.

6)I said I "couldn't" work at a desk all day
Turns out, you can do a lot of things you think you "can't" do if it will get you closer to a goal.

7) I said I wouldn't "settle down"
You can find adventure anywhere. You don't have to have a passport full of stamps and be on the road all the time. It's all in your attitude.

The trail to the top of this mountain is only ten minutes from home.
I'm curious to see what the next seven years brings. I can safely say that I won't telemark ski, do a cleanse, or write a romance novel. But otherwise? I'm open to possibilities.

Have you changed in the past few years? Done a sport you said you would never do? Stopped doing one you loved?





21 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm seven days away from being six years in California. Milestones like moving have a way of putting convenient markers in life that make it easy to look back.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and I sometimes feel like a completely different person. I don't know how I endured the constant rain for one thing.

      Delete
  2. Over the years I have enjoyed lots of things, some I still do and some I don't.
    We used to ski every weekend ( snow permitting ) but we haven't gone in years. We used to kayak a lot more then we do now, but I still love when we do get the boats on the water. We used to be on a roller hockey team made up of a bunch of friends, we were a funny looking bunch but we had fun and it was great exercise. Over the years we all got older and some of us moved to other places so our little misfit team was no more. But the one thing that has been with me most of my life is my love for the mountains, that has never changed and I hope that it never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I see more friends giving that up or day hiking only, saying they are too old to sleep in a tent. Never!

      Delete
    2. Funny, I've been hiking and sleeping in a tent for years. This summer I finally talked my little sister into going on a backpack trip with me. She had been the one that kept saying that she was too old to sleep on the ground and in a tent. I took her up east eagle for a couple of nights and guess what Mary, she is hooked!!! All she can talk about is next summer and she has already been buying her own gear. That's what the power and beauty of the wilderness can do I guess... :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, it's interesting how attitudes change as one ages. I'm less inclined to waste time on activities that don't interest me.

    P.S. Love your wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like time gets more precious the older you get.

      Delete
  4. Why not a romance novel? You write so well and are so good at telling a story, a mass-market novel set in the wilderness among seasonal workers might be fun--and lucrative! Or about a long distance thru-hike. The market is already primed for that.

    That IS a beautiful wedding dress--boots, too. Old with a story, or just historically elegant? They remind me of pictures and clothing from my relatives across the rivers in Idaho.

    Tom
    Fairbanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have often thought about the seasonal worker angle! If I could just keep it from being cheesy...
      The dress is not vintage, boots either, just look that way. I loved the look.

      Delete
  5. I said our family would never own a kitty. My daughter won and we have had her for almost 2 yrs now. The kids still play with her like she's new to the family. I never thought I'd camp alone with my kids, let alone in a tent (even though I had traveled alone with them). We started about 4 yrs ago, and I camp with my daughter alone now too. Sometimes we just have to try new things to discover what we are capable of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. next, backpacking with your daughter!

      Delete
    2. Yes, because exploring beyond what was once our comfort zones has gotten us both hooked. I'm glad she's starting her backcountry hiking young.

      Delete
  6. The first time I went to Japan (in 2012) I said three weeks was enough time in such a strange country... Now I'm here for three months.

    I wonder if I'll get over my running phase and get into long distance hiking? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running was great for me for many years. I just like being out there at a different pace now. I still like trail running but the trails here are just more conducive to hiking. Maybe you won't get over it--and you don't have to. If I could run like you I probably wouldn't either.

      Delete
  7. They say wisdom comes with age and one thing I've learned is to never say never. So many things I couldn't imagine I'd do, I'm doing or I've tried. I could have never in a million years pictured my life as it is now. I love being open to possibilities and opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never could have either but not in as good a way as you (well, in some respects it's good, but I never thought I'd be at a desk!). You have a great life!

      Delete
  8. Never say never! This post gets me thinking about my list ...

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!