Saturday, November 12, 2016

Indoor Hobbies

Years ago, in the Florida swamp..

I bounced about like Tigger in the FEMA trailer that three of us firefighters shared. A single wide of dubious stability, it also bounced with every step. It was raining outside and I needed something to do. Mike looked up in annoyance. "You need a hobby!" he proclaimed.

But..I had plenty of hobbies...didn't I? I ran...I hiked...I kayaked... In thinking about it, I realized that most of my hobbies had to do with the outdoors. And that is still the case.

I've been confined lately, due to this never-ending cough and because the puppy got fixed and isn't supposed to run (even though she really wants to). She can't really be trusted on her own inside for a long period of time, so even though we are having the warmest November I have ever seen, I am stuck..inside.


source: youtube Andrea Michelle
There are those who have a whole suite of indoor hobbies but I am not one of them. I can't crochet, sew or knit, and don't really have much interest in learning (I have enough stuff, and most of the people I would give gifts too have as well). Food is fuel and I am not that into cooking elaborate meals. I do bake bread sometimes, but that isn't really a hobby. I read, and I write, though that is more my business than a hobby, at least in the eyes of the IRS.

The main problem with indoor hobbies is that they mostly involve sitting. That is fine for people who have active jobs or who don't work full time, but in my job I tend to sit. That is the last thing I want to do when I'm not working.

I've run into people who have myriad indoor hobbies. One of my friends is building an airplane. (Yes, one that flies)  Others do pottery. Glassblowing. And so on. Some of these things sound interesting, but involve space, which is a premium in my cabin.

It's taken enforced confinement for me to realize I still don't have many indoor hobbies. I think that's OK though.  In some sense, hobbies keep me from writing, and my agent has been patiently waiting. The next novel won't write itself while I am doing other things. (HELP! I need a plot idea. What is a secret that a friend  (early twenties) might keep from two others about her past that they find out years after her untimely death?. If I pick it, I will send you a free book when it gets published. Don't hold your breath, publishing is slow. Think 2018 at best). Winter's coming, people! You can't snowshoe all day!

Wait! Yoga! Does yoga count? When is the last time I did yoga? Um...

Do you have indoor hobbies? What are they?






17 comments:

  1. Isn't reading a hobby? I imagine a writer like you would also be a voracious reader.

    I like to knit and binge watch shows on Netflix. And nap. Napping is an amazing hobby to balance all the outdoor interests. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read a ton since I don't have TV or netflix. Although I usually accompany it with a vague feeling that I should be doing something else...cleaning perhaps.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Puzzles! Once the puppy gets a little older...

      Delete
    2. Used to make comforters from running and fire line T shirts, and way back, used to sew children's clothes, jackets and raincoats! Haven't done that for a long time....it was fun.

      Delete
  3. Processing photos and writing blog posts, are those hobbies? Sometimes they feel more like enjoyable chores. Gear creation, repair, maintenance. Once again hobby or chore? Puzzles I like that one.

    As for a plot, I'll have to think on that one while I'm out hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiking is great for making up plot lines. Right now I have some ideas simmering. Let's see if they come to a boil.

      Delete
    2. I don't have any indoor hobbies to speak of and I can go stir crazy sometimes in the winter. My job keeps me on my feet for 10 hours a day and I like that. I don't do well sitting for long periods at a time, guess that's why I could never stick with knitting and things like that.
      Mostly on the weekends I clean my house and take my pups for lots of walks in the wildlife areas along the river. I do read a lot but mostly at night before going to bed.

      Delete
    3. I really miss having an active job. I now have to be very vigilant about making sure I get up and walk around. I mostly read at night too, not sure I could fall asleep without it.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I would count yoga as a hobby. At least Ruby is having to lay low while you are still dealing with your miserable cough. Bake some cookies and some bread. That will burn some time while your not feeling 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby is livelier than I am and she had major surgery! Dogs are tough. Bread sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  5. If I had to stay inside I'd catch up on my reading, mostly. Another thing I might do, though, is get out my maps and plan hiking trips, including ones I'll probably never actually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love planning hiking trips! Great idea. I am planning three for the spring/summer, all on the PCT of course.

      Delete
  6. On the side I reburbish old wood items like side tables, chairs. (remove old paint layer if needed, sand, stain, varnish). I just finished a small box from the late 1800's or early 1900's. I love planning hiking trips too like others have mentioned. I have a large collection of beach glass so my winter project is to build something out of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds like a great hobby. I need a shop! What will you make of beach glass?

      Delete
    2. It's called "Sea to Summit". I have the pieces laid out for now and they form a hiker with her arms raised on top of a mountain. It will be about 10 inches tall. I am thinking probably secure the pieces to something and then put it in a shadow box frame made of wood that looks beachy.

      Delete
  7. I love scrapbooking and miss it immensely! What do you do with all your photos of your adventures? What about a PCT scrapbook?

    Plot idea: the girl was raped or molested when she was younger? Not sure if you'd want to get that dark, but seems like a secret someone would keep!

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!