Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Outside Air

I have forgotten how to trust slickrock. I inched my way down the "practice loop" of the Slickrock Bike Trail, on foot. There was no way I would ever ride this, I thought. I needed a practice loop just for the practice loop! I learned to ride a bike too late. Fear is too hard to overcome.

So I decided to hike it instead. I am on a road trip, and it's hard to follow any kind of healthy eating plan or enough exercise when you have to cover this many miles. Still, I try. This loop is only about two miles, not really enough outdoors time for me. This week I was at a book signing, and a fellow author appeared. She is 83 and glowing with life. She does farm chores every day. "It's the outdoor air," she said. "Indoor air isn't good for you."

There's also genetics and good luck, but I think she may have something there.


The start of the trail. This doesn't look too hard.

You can hike (not bike) from this overlook to a trail in the canyon bottom. 
All too soon, we had to pack up and head back out. Too many hours in the car, too many "Crack Chips" (Juanita's chips, you can't stop eating them), not enough exercise. Road trips just aren't fun for me. Plus I drove across country solo more times than I can count as a seasonal ranger. 

Still, when you live in the west you have to bite the bullet and drive (it's two hours to the nearest airport and an hour and forty minutes to the dentist from where I live). Recently an Alaskan friend came to a place near me. "It's only four hours away!" I exclaimed. "You're really close!" However, he decided it was just too far. "An hour's drive is too far," he said.

It's funny what you get used to. But I am looking forward to some outside air.

Road trips, love or hate? Good road food?







14 comments:

  1. I love road trips! My fave road foot is kettle chips. Leaving for a trip to Missoula, MT tomorrow for Thanksgiving at with my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful in the snow! Kettle chips are probably better for you than Crack Chips.

      Delete
  2. I love road trips but with a toddler (and more recently, baby) in tow it can be difficult! Lots of planning. I'm in Texas so I understand the it's so far away mentality but after several long distance hikes I came to put that hourly driving into how many days it would take to hike it and got some perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, going to the dentist here would be a full 4 days' walk! Haha.

      Delete
  3. Love road trips. Moving through the world at high speeds (relative to my biking and running), climate controlled comfort, observing landscapes and listening to loud music, gas station coffee and junk food.

    Commercial flying, on the other hand, is a truly heinous experience. I'd be interested to meet anyone who enjoys that form of travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do road trips well, you take the time to stop for epic adventure. Air travel sux.

      Delete
  4. Road trips make my legs ache but worth it to get to new places. Challenge to fit in enough exercise. Glad you got out even for a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just end up feeling somewhat fat and unhealthy! But I agree, it has been interesting touring around the southwest.

      Delete
  5. We were on holiday in Moab mid-October. Took my girl friend on Slickrock (with the bikes). Took her a while to feel comfortable. I loved it (but mtn bike all the time and feel it is my most proficient "sport"). It is so cool and so very different there from my mountains (the Purcells).
    Naomi (Kimberley BC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine feeling comfortable ever on that trail, but I guess it comes with time. It is very different--I like that it isn't narrow. You can see forever.

      Delete
  6. OMG Juanita's!!!! We miss those so much!!!!! One of the many things we love about your area!

    Love the quote from the 83YO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I've got enough time to plan some outside time each day, I enjoy road trips. For as much as I have moved, I've never done a cross-country road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove cross country I think at least ten times solo. I don't know how I did it.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!