Wednesday, December 14, 2016

When the snow is too deep for the dog....

Since we have All the Snow, I have been skiing for a week straight, completely ignoring the gym or running or anything else. My truck has been locked in 4WD for several days. I have had several ski outings with friends, breaking trail (nothing is groomed here) and other trips on my own. We are supposed to get another foot tomorrow. I am not going on my annual Grand Canyon backpacking trip this year, so here it is. It's been four years since I was home for Christmas.

The windswept and deep Devils View trail.
 We trudge along taking turns breaking trail, following blue diamonds. I realize I am skiing with three people who are all retired. I am the young one in the group. That's weird. Because they are retired, they don't have the same urgency to do All The Skiing in one day, but we do make two loops out of it. By the second loop, we can even glide. It's hard work, but I'd rather have this than a groomed, Lycra-clad playground. We don't see a soul on our trek.

I take T up high the next day when she wants to go low, and we are pummeled by stinging snow and wind. and must retreat to the place she wanted to go all along. And it's okay, another trudge through unpopulated woods, climbing over fallen trees.  The next day I travel high again, finding our track completely blown in. Ruby and I travel for a ways before I notice a strange phenomenon-the snow is too deep for the puppy! It is time to turn around.

Bad phone picture, but you get an idea. Even the dog gave up.

I snicker as I see my co-workers on the west side excused from work for 1-3 inches of snow. We don't get any such exception.  I also don't feel jealous of my friends who don't live in snow. I need a change of pace and activity every year. As much as I love hiking and running, it is good to change things up, to challenge myself in different ways. Besides, skiing is about the best workout there is.

The puppy and I trudge back to the car. We are the only ones on the trail. It would be hard to give this up. Even for the Grand Canyon. It will be there next year.




21 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying your winter wonderland. Ruby is getting so big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She's up to about 40 pounds. Hard to lift her in the car (we are getting a step for her)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! and ambitious. Enjoy your time at home with J. and the animals. Ruby is getting dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told her not to get any darker. I like her light colors! I think it is the quarter German Shepherd coming out in her.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to ski every day! And yes, I'm one of those west-side wimpies that got out of work due to last week's "snowstorm."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are fine in it but most people in cities that don't get a lot of snow are terrible drivers. Of course, being a telecommuter, I never get out of work!

      Delete
  5. Send some snow south!!! We had at least a foot around Thanksgiving, and it's just about all melted away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird isn't it? Aren't you at a high elevation?

      Delete
  6. I wish I lived in the snow. Rain is gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, seven years in Southeast Alaska rain forest. Over the rain!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy to the M A X! Some of us are sweltering in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but your summer is just starting! Hope you can find a way to cool off.

      Delete
  8. If I decide to take a winter park volunteer job next year, I'll get a chance to experience your world. If I could ski or SS to my job, I think I'd be a pretty happy camper. Enjoy Christmas at home! Stop Ruby, just stop, we don't want you looking like a GS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to ski to work if I had to commute. (Now I just walk downstairs). Yes, her back looks like a shepherd. It looks like there are two different dogs walking along. I laugh at her all the time, poor thing.

      Delete
    2. My Maine Coon went through a very awkward period around 3-6 months old. He looked so funny as his neck seemed to elongate. Eventually the neck is overtaken by his lioness mane, giving him his identification.

      Delete
  9. We need the snow! Instead we have unseasonably chilly weather. Our poor ski hill only has one run open so far. Oh well, it will come. In the meantime, hot yoga is the option for staying warm. Oh, and eating too many of my mother's Christmas cookies.
    Naomi (Kimberley, BC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BC no snow?! We have so much of it, more than I can remember in a very long time.

      Delete
  10. I love the snow! Looks like Ruby does too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She jumps up and down in it like a fox!

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!