Thursday, February 16, 2017

Cabin Fever

It's inevitable. I can pretend to be as zen about staying in one place as much as I want, but the need for travel crops up about this time of year. It's not the dead of winter, but it's not spring either. You have to climb a little higher for snow, but the usual spring escapes are too snowy this year. Unbelievably, even the canyon is a dicey prospect, and I can usually backpack there in January.

I have to admit: it doesn't feel that great. I feel under-exercised, over-sugared, and a little boring. Here is where I need to say that there's no need to remind me of how good I have it. I am well aware of this. It's just that travel to mountains or desert or forest--I'm not picky--for more than a couple of hours feeds my soul. I have to come to feel like I need that time to recharge, and I'm only getting it in small doses. I feel like when doctors check you for things like Vitamin D, there should be an adventure level check too.

OK that's silly. But anyway. Cabin fever! I have to remind myself:  if I could hike and camp all the time, would I even appreciate it as much? I wondered about this as I slogged up a closed road, feet sinking deep in a stew of slush and ice, on yet another too-short excursion. Probably not. Each trip I manage to take feels like a delightful game of hooky, each moment precious. I'm not picky--each excursion is good, because I don't have unlimited choices.

I hiked up through rain, crossing that invisible line where it turned to snow (I love that magical line). The dog raced around, overcome with joy.
A rainy, sloppy day but great views!
I've had my dog for six months now and she keeps reminding me of a better way to live my life. Instead of looking forward to distant adventures, Ruby is excited every day. Hey! It's morning! Hi!!! What are we doing?! Food? Yay! Look, it's the labs from down the road, I need to whine at them! Run in the rain on a slippery road? Sure! Nothing going on? Ok, I'll chew on this toy and nap. Or snuggle with the cat:



I know people aren't dogs. We need to go to work, and pay the bills, and worry about stuff. But it's a good reminder to me to live in the moment. I can pace and look at maps all I want, but that won't make summer come any faster or get me freedom from work (seven years and 350 days!) any sooner. I'll make it through cabin fever just fine.

9 comments:

  1. Aww... that pic of your dog cuddling the cat is precious! Yes, we could learn a lot from the attitude of a dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a never ending effort for me to live in the moment. I keep working on it.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with Linda re the photo. Pure bliss for both animals.
    Keep playing hooky and delighting in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way to get through it for sure.

      Delete
  3. I get this post! Sun is shining, roads are bare and dry, air smells fresh and clean, and the snow and ice are melting. While driving to work this morning I got an urge to book a yurt, pack, pick the kids up from school, drive 4 hrs, and resupply my body with the natural vitamin D my body is aching for. Then I pulled into the parking lot at work. Oh well, back to reality. Soon, soon it will be time to enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A yurt! I think this weather is a tease. More snow coming this weekend. I love skiing but I'm ready to camp, and not winter camp either!

      Delete
    2. Yup, glad I didn't follow through with that plan. I saw weather report tonight. Rain and snow at night here, then 40's during the day through Wed. We have flood warnings everywhere up here. It'll be awhile before it dries up enough up here to not sink 6" in mud with every step.

      Delete
  4. Pretty crazy winter you are having, but having cute fur babies with lots of energy seems to help, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I am staring down high winds and rain, though snow not too far up. Yes it is super weird this year. The puppy is so great, despite being an anchor for travel!

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!