Thursday, February 2, 2017

Posing awkwardly on a frozen lake


all photos by Talia Jean Galvin--Talia Jean Photography (find out more here)
There are some people who look flawless all the time, even when in the backcountry. I still recall the day when, as a young seasonal wilderness ranger, I was booking it up a pass. Covered in ashes from digging trash out of fire pits, on day four of wearing the same uniform, and having forgotten a comb and substituting a fork, it was not my finest hour. A perky backpacker with perfect braids and, unbelievably, a white shirt, hove into view. Despite having been out for a few days herself, she looked like she had just stepped out of an REI catalog. Who are those people?
So when it came time to take my author photo for my newest book (out sometime this fall or early 2018..latest news here) naturally I knew that a studio portrait was not going to happen. I enlisted my photographer friend Talia Jean Galvin (of Talia Jean Photography) to go out to the frozen lake. And because I find taking pictures of myself silly, I had to do a few silly things:


Stare pensively...
Walk artfully away...
The obligatory leap


In all seriousness--the lake ice is now 8" thick!
The skiing has been incredible.

I know I keep banging on about winter, but I have never lived through one like this, except perhaps as a child, when we all know the snow was deeper. We are getting another 18" tonight. People's roofs are collapsing, which is sad, and those who hate winter are being driven over the edge. The skiers among us are beside themselves. There are a lot of "Bronec coughs*" going around, keeping people from work.

I see a few smug posts from people in southern climes, talking about seventy degrees, but I am honestly not tempted. This is what winter should be like.

The point of this post? If you find yourself on a frozen lake with a photographer, do silly things. And enjoy winter. You never know when or if there will be a next one.

20 comments:

  1. Great pics! Your friend does good work. I'm loving all this snow and the skiing has been good on Hood too. I too enjoy winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in awe of good photographers! Looking forward to more ski posts from you.

      Delete
  2. My favorite pic is the very first one leaning backwards. You look great in that one. You are very photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I don't think so, but we never do, do we?

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful pics! I love winter - 70 degrees doesn't tempt me much either :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun...what a photo shoot should be. Don't agree with the "posing awkwardly" but otherwise great photos. Such a beautiful background to have! Are there ice fisherman on that thick-ice lake this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never lived where snow is the constant canvas. I think I'd have a love-hate relationship with it. I sort of want to try. I considered applying for a winter volunteer position at Crater Lake. I much prefer snow to rain. Way too much rain in my area for my liking in Jan/Feb. Driving 1-2 hours for snow gets old. Oh to find that perfect winter home! Now I'm in search of green early spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I hate it is when I have to drive in it. I lived year round in Florida for a couple of years and it was horrible. I don't do well with the same weather all the time. Boring.

      Delete
  6. Love the picture Mary, you look very beautiful!
    I think you should have your friend take a picture of you and your pup standing together looking off toward the high peaks. If you could get Ruby to corporate that picture could say a lot, it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good idea! Yes getting her to stay is a challenge!

      Delete
  7. I would love to find myself on a frozen lake. I love all the shots but my favourite is where you are walking away, perhaps to a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so sad when this lake breaks up. I know it's coming, probably in the next month.

      Delete
  8. I think the "stare pensively" one would make the best author picture, although you don't really look pensive there; you're smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I picked one that isn't on here. It'll be on my book!

      Delete
  9. I like the first one. We are our own worst critics. Love your blog. Peace from VT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excited to see which photo you picked ... the ones you posted here are really awesome. This is an odd question, but I'm assuming you then credit the photographer, right? On the back cover ... PC: XX? I ask because recently I sent in a proposal to a publisher and the form asked questions about the photos and map I planned to use. Did I have signed permission to use them? Most of the photos I have and plan to use are mine, well taken with my camera by another person. So I was just curious how that all works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked a normal one, not these goofy ones. Yes, I do have to credit the photographer because it is her business. If the photos are yours and the friend doesn't mind, I don't think you need to credit them. I have seen it like this: photo from the author's collection, if it even says.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!