Tuesday, March 14, 2017

wild enough

I finally got out of town. It's been five months. I had a book reading on the west side, so I went a couple of days early and drove to the ocean. There's just something about listening to the waves that I had been missing. The coast has a peacefulness I needed. Sometimes I think I could just go and live in a remote cabin and never talk to people again. When I start feeling that way I know I need to go someplace wild. Or at least, semi-wild.


When I first pulled into Newport, it was an uncharacteristically sunny day. People were everywhere! Oh no, I thought. But despite all the people, I had to get out there.

 There were endless views in each direction. Time to go for a run!
Beach running is so easy. So flat! So sea level! No rocks, no bears, no mountain lions! You can look around without the possibility of a face plant. I ran toward the lighthouse, and then turned around to run in the other direction. 

The next day the weather returned to its normal self. Agate Beach was completely deserted, with torrents of rain and a biting wind. Driftwood had been tossed onto the sand. I still made myself go out, stalking the abandoned coast. Nobody else was out there, unlike the day before. This was more like it!  I am a fan of extreme weather--the years I lived in Florida with its endless sameness were hard to take.

I have to say that this has been a difficult time lately. People are so mean to each other now. There's a lot of superiority about lifestyles and how much better they are. Not knowing if we have to move (we still don't) has been hard. What helps is to get out, to realize that nature endures. This beach will be here long after I'm gone.

It rained so much that day that big rivers ran across the beach. The waves were huge. It was wild enough. I had my fix of the coast and could head back to my landlocked little mountain town. It'll be backpacking season soon. I can hang on until then.

Running on the beach, yes or no?
Are you a beach person?











15 comments:

  1. I've never been a big fan of running on the beach (pulls on my knees weird). I'd rather walk and explore it. Yes, I'm a beach person. There is no better noise machine than that of the ocean. Instant relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed I felt stiffer after beach running this time than pavement. It's not a very forgiving surface in places. Beautiful though.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had time "in the wild" (separate from the wild near your little mountain town). I remember Newport after traveling along the old Oregon Trail, those bluffs and wide open spaces are addictive. How was the reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long way to go for ten minutes! Well attended though. Some good writing to listen to.

      Delete
  3. Newport is nice! Our coast down here is more rugged with fewer beaches. I'm not really a fan of the ocean. It's cold, wet, and always windy. When I think of a "beach person", I think of someone who goes to the beach and just sits. It is not warm enough to do that here.

    I run on the beach sometimes, but I hate that the sand never comes out of the shoes or socks I had on, so I have a special pair for sandy days. They're so trashed. It has to be a pretty nice day for me to go run on the beach though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a just sit on the "beach person" either. I have to always be moving and get bored with just sitting especially if it is hot, which rarely occurs up here in WA and OR.

      Delete
    2. Yep, can't just sit there either. Sitka was pretty ideal (when it was only raining lightly) because of the kayaking opportunities. I'd much rather be out on it than watching it (except in storms though)

      Delete
  4. Although I live an hour's drive from the OR coast, I rarely ever visit. I much prefer the mountains.

    P.S. When will you be having a book reading in Portland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read there, just need to be invited. I tried at Powell's but they really need to be approached by publicists not authors...

      Delete
  5. Not a beach person, never craved the ocean like many people do. That said, I do love wild weather the exhilaration of those 'real' days like you describe the second day on the beach. I too would take that any day over crowds. I like to experience the natural forces in solitude, I like to experience everything in solitude I guess, when it comes down to it. We used to go on a coast camping trip with our eldest son's 4th/5th grade class each June. It was always a good experience, but I'm not drawn to coasts (any coast) for my own personal self. Mountains, deserts, rivers, lakes.
    As for meanness, I think in general the human species IS mean, they just hide it when things are easy and comfortable for them. When the going gets tough, they get mean. A gross generalization I know, but rather sadly well observed all around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up near water so maybe that is why I am drawn to it. Still if there's a choice it would always be mountains. I do love lakes the best! Those alpine ones.

      Delete
  6. I miss the ocean sometimes, living here in North Idaho, the smell and the sounds of the waves, but not the wind. As for mean people, I often wonder if putting down other people for lifestyle or whatever, is what insecure people do to validate themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I think those people probably feel insecure about their choices so they need to validate them. It's rather prevalent in my line of work, sadly.

      Delete
  7. I'm a mountain-town person living in a beach-town, but I think San Diego is where we'll be for quite some time, so I'm trying to become more of a beach person. Yesterday we took a walk on the beach and watched the sun go down -- it was nice. I'll still take towering peaks and alpine meadows over a day spent in the sand though. Perhaps I'll spend more time at the beach thinking about the little mountain cabin that I'll someday own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I think people can adapt to some degree. I found beauty in Florida, for example, even though I really didn't want to live there.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!