Tuesday, April 25, 2017

On the trail again (PCT)

Last April, Triscuit and I sat in the dubious shade of a dumpster and pondered our life choices. We had just staggered through three miles of deep sand, accompanied by a forty-five mile headwind. It was hot, topping ninety degrees. At a blessed trail angel house, we drank Gatorade and fended off stoned waifs who inexplicably tried to hug us. Never again, I thought. I work so hard for my vacation time, why was I in this mindless desert?

But still. There's something to having a goal, even if it is just completing the entire Pacific Crest Trail in sections. I've done 1500 miles; the trail is 2,650 miles give or take. Even as we sat there, true "hiker trash", I knew I would be back.

And so it came to be. On Tuesday we embark on another section, from I-10 near Cabazon to I-15 at Cajon Pass. It promises to be much elevation change, and some weirdness (Deep Creek hot springs, where locals like to ingest substances and soak naked. We may not be clear of the stoned waifs yet). Wind farms are a distinct possibility. Why do we do this, when there are possibly more close to home, scenic places to hike? For me, it's all about the trail community; while the stoners do exist, there are still some real, genuine people (take Shortcut, the Frenchman I camped with last summer. We still email each other) and true soulmates can exist (solemates? Ha). Then again, it's about the dream: Footprints from Mexico to Canada. How amazing is that?

I have: nine pounds of food for seven days. The usual camping gear. Something new, a "rain skirt" instead of pants (the forecast shows no rain); and a new drinking system where I have a tube connected right to a Smartwater bottle instead of a bladder (I love bladders, but on a long trail, it's a PITA to keep unpacking to take it out and fill it and know how much water you have. For shorter hikes, it's still my preference). I am contemplating going the no camp shoes route--there aren't really stream crossings, and for a week, I can go without sandals.

So here we go. 127 miles give or take! I'll report back soon.
This pavement is actually a short walk on the previous section. Not sure why it was chosen to represent Section C.


8 comments:

  1. Another grand adventure! Good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Enjoy! My cousin and two of his friends are attempting the entire thing (they started at the south end last week). Someday I'd like to see some of it too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I always say "Can't wait to hear all about the adventure." Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the mountains will seep into you and give you sunny days, star filled nights and beautiful sights. 22,000+ elevation gain/loss...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope there isn't too much sand this leg. Best wishes for sunny skies and perfect temperatures. I will be watching for your first post of the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They'll never call you a cherry picker :) as for me, I'll happily retain that title. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goals, goals, goals. They loom, they doom, but they also reward. More than halfway to this one!!! Holy elevation gain. My muscles burned at the infographic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I am back and will write a post soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!