Monday, May 15, 2017

They call me the breeze ( a packing story in memes)

I stared at my outdoor gear totes. How can you know what you'll need for four months? Clothes are easy. It's summer (allegedly. It is snowing currently). Shoes? Just a pair to run in and a couple to hike in. But outdoor gear! How to choose? I threw three tents into a pile. What? It makes sense! The PCT tent that folds up as small as a water bottle. The two person deluxe. And my overnight fave.



Over the last eight years I have mostly lost my gypsy nature. I used to be up for any kind of move. I was like the breeze, always moving on. I've lost that person, and it's time to find her again. I am moving about six hours south, for 4 months, a job thing. Just like I never thought I would do, I am following a man (but it's okay, I am married to him). The alternative is to stay here and take care of the two houses we own. Oh Honey. No.

It's surprising how deeply rooted I've become and how hard it is to prepare for this. How did I ever move every six months, for years? At the same time, I've become kind of comfortable. Time to shake things up.

And the stuff! How did I acquire so much stuff? I'm cleaning out the house so some short-term renters can move in. What are all these electronic chargers and what do they charge? What is this unidentifiable gadget? How did I end up with four nail clippers? And on what planet did I ever think these shoes were stylish?


Weeding out your life is actually a good exercise. Minus furniture, I have discovered that my belongings all fit in a small shed. I've taken stock of everything I have and decided if it's worth keeping. I still hang on stubbornly to a few things. Doesn't everyone need two camp stoves? And five sleeping bags is totally reasonable.


The pets are the issue. I've never wanted to be a person who would not go on vacations because of their pets. But it definitely becomes a consideration when embarking on a temporary move. Some of them don't get along, which raises the complexity of the whole thing.


It's hard to think about missing a summer here.This is about perfect--enough tourists to make sure we have some nice restaurants and a bookstore, but not so many you feel road rage trying to get home. People in the mountains, but less than other places. On the bright side, this is a way to try out a new place without a commitment. I have new trails to explore, a pool (!), lakes to kayak on. The town is full of athletes, which can be good and can be bad. I'll have to get over being passed by other runners, which never happens here. But I might be able to find some kindred souls, which can sometimes be lacking in my small town.



I have three weeks to cull the herd, so to speak. The thrift store won't know what hit it. And I know once I get there, it will be an adventure. Welcome back, wanderer.

11 comments:

  1. Southern Oregon?
    Hope you enjoy, I look forward to reading about some new and different adventures. But that said it still will be nice having you back home in the heart of Wallowa county.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Central Oregon though as of last night more logistics to work put as the renters decided to rent shop and try to get us to lower the extremely low rent. Nope. So things are a bit up in the air.

      Delete
    2. That should be "work OUT"

      Delete
  2. When I even think about moving, all the "stuff" stares at me and I get tired just thinking. Sounds as if you are working it through....once that gets done, a new horizon and new places to explore (pool!, kayak lakes!, PCT!) should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of work for just a few months!

      Delete
  3. Dan has you beat in camp stoves. Acquiring yet another one at Easter from BIL. Yes, five sleeping bags are totally reasonable.
    Pets do make planning tricky. We always have MIL watch our dog while we're on vacation. She is over 12 and has a bum hip. Not sure how she will do deck stairs at MIL's this year. Not entierly sure how MIL will do inside stairs to let dog out where she wouldn't have to climb deck stairs. If it's not one it's the other.
    Some way, some how, it will work out. You are great at logistics. You plan PCT hikes. You plan hikes around crazy out-of-town work schedules.
    Just remember to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some snags have come up. Love our pets, but they sure make life complicated. It will work out how it works out!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you decided to try the new temporary home. Lots of great hiking around there. Next time I come out to Central Oregon we'll have to do a hike! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still plan to somehow get to Cascade Locks and do that PCT section. I think I might try to get dropped off there and walk south though. That would make the most sense (walk home). Depends on the snow level though.

      Delete
  5. Best wishes for this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. At least I will have new geography to write about. It is very volcanic.

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!