Monday, June 12, 2017

Stranger in a strange land

It turns out that I'm not good at moving anymore. I used to be. Back in the day, when I moved every six months for a period of ten years, I was the Queen of the Road. I missed every place I left, but I drove eagerly toward the new one, leaving everything behind with few regrets.

I am out of practice. The last time I moved was in 2009, and I was ready to leave Alaska, a place where I had seen heartbreak and too much rain. 2009--a lifetime ago. Now in a new town, I wake up with missing a place so much that it hurts. I didn't realize how much I depended on looking out to see Chief Joseph Mountain every morning, my barometer for the day. I didn't realize how much I depended on knowing that friends were right down the street. Moving, even if it's only for a few months, is hard.

What to do when I feel sad? Find a trail of course! There is an excellent trail system for running and mountain biking right in town, but those trails, at least the parts I walked, are pretty flat. This is a big change from where I lived, where every run started with a soul-destroying hill climb. Running those trails will be great. But when a girl wants elevation, she needs to look elsewhere. So we found a six mile route along Wychus Creek. It was listed as "difficult", which made me laugh, because there were only a few rocky climbs. But it was still a nice hike. It paralleled the Wild and Scenic River, with some swimming  holes, were it a bit warmer.


Then we decided to find the snowline. Turns out it was only a few miles from town.

Being in the alpine made me happy. It was cold up here, and snowing.

The pets are all adjusting, though Puffin the cat doesn't like it much. He misses being outdoors, and keeps trying to find his way home. Turns out what they tell you about cats trying to go back to to the old house is true. As much as he loves us, he loves the place more. I get it, Puff, I do.

21 comments:

  1. Awww!! Hope the adjustment for you (and Puffin) goes smoothly. TrailRX is always the answer. (Maybe not for the cat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cat would disappear! He stays in. The trail system here really is pretty amazing. That is a plus.

      Delete
  2. Bonding to a place is a good thing, except when you can't be there. Loved the hike along the creek and near a Wild and Scenic River. Tell Puffin you understand, and keep an eye on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is getting lots of attention. Callie, strangely enough, seems perfectly happy--maybe happier.

      Delete
  3. I wondered if you'd moved yet. I think you will like your new "backyard." Lots of good trails out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe the trail system. Not too many people on them either (at least when I have gone).

      Delete
  4. Sometimes change isn't all that bad until you think about it and you start missing that place. There's been many times I have thought about relocating then, I start looking at photos of my past and realize, I could never leave Alaska and the lifestyle I live. It wouldn't work anywhere else. I hope your cat learns to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people can live anywhere, but would they be happy? Some people just can't. I don't think I am entirely in that boat, but I do think there are only a few places I'd be really content.

      Delete
  5. I think the Wallowas are very much in your heart Mary and will welcome you back with open arms. Did you take your pups with you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm no good at moving anymore either. The longer you stay in a place, the harder it is to leave. I hope you and the furry kids feel more comfortable soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, you get in a comfort zone even if you are staying because you love it. It is good to break out, I guess. I am finding it pretty easy to run here. Lower elevation and manicured trails.

      Delete
  7. Glad you were able to get out and discover a new trail. Youll be nsvk home before you know it. In the meantime get out as much as you can and explore the beauty around you. I've only moved 2 times in my life (3 If you count moving from the house next door to current house.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I don't even know how many times I've moved. I guess that means I don't keep stuff around, I tend to do big purges. This time everything fit in a small shed. So I guess that's good.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I moved out of my childhood home to an apartment when I was 18. I rented my apartment from 92-97. Between 95-97 I rented apartment, but lived the majority of the time next door to current house as a FT caregiver of hubby's granny. I've lived in current house since 1997.

      Delete
  8. This is a good trial experiment. Now you know why you are renting out your house and not selling it . . . yet :)

    I've lived in this house for much too long, by far the longest. It's so easy to start accumulating and then stuff it away rather than take the time to pass items along. I'm slowly working through the process. I'll be glad to return to a more minimal life.

    I remember when I traveled a lot, it was much like backpacking you know what to grab. You're efficient. You were like that with moving. Those 3 months will fly by and it'll feel like a little vacation and then a homecoming.

    Hoping the pets all adjust soon and you find some fantastic trails. Sisters is one of my possible relocation considerations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisters is growing on me! It is nice to explore somewhere new every evening after work, and the trail system is amazing. The surrounding Bend area is too busy for me, so I don't know that I would live here permanently.

      Delete
  9. "As much as he loves us, he loves the place more." Oh yeah, I get that too. I've lived a lot of places, and I've spent a lot of time trying to find balance to be in places that just didn't 'fit' me. I don't feel I can do that anymore. There just aren't enough years left to waste.
    If R took a job in the east, or midwest, or anywhere not in the west I wouldn't go with him. I just couldn't be in those places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be a tough one. I haven't been married long enough to say the same. Luckily, J knows that it would be super hard for me anywhere but the west, and he feels the same, really. I just don't think a job is worth living where you don't love.

      Delete
  10. I am looking forward to seeing where that explorer in you takes you to in your new environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....there is no shortage to exploring it seems

      Delete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!