Friday, June 23, 2017

Time for PCT therapy: Chester to Burney

I've had it! It is time to be selfish. I've spent weeks now as the supportive partner and making sure everyone, pets and people, are all right with the move, and also hours in a house feeling a bit isolated from society (working from home is both a blessing and a curse). It is time for a break, and that almost always means the mountains.

It's time for a few days where all that matters are how far it is to the next water source or campsite, Where my job all day isn't to field conference calls and lead groups and tap away at management plans, but to hike. Just to hike, all day long.

I am going with my intrepid friend Jan to hike from Chester to Burney in Northern California. This will be somewhat of a leisure tour, as we have five days and only 88 miles to cover. The whole section is about 129 miles but Jan has to be somewhere and and what's wrong with 17 miles a day?

Unfortunately, we must lug bear canisters because they are required in Lassen National Park now. Hikers love to hate on these cans, and I am not an exception. While they make storing food at night much safer and worry-free, they make a gut bomb in your pack that is hard to pack around. Why can't you approve Ursacks, National Park Service?

We will also hike across the infamous Hat Creek Rim, well known for high temperatures and waterless miles (though there is a water tank now, partway across).

source
Typically at this time of year the trail is not crowded. But with the high snows and hazardous river crossings, thru-hikers in droves are skipping the Sierra and starting again in Chester. We may be with the herd. Moo.

We are not doing the climbout of Belden, the first part of the graph. Poison oak and heat, I will come back to it later.


Who hikes 88 miles as a break? I do. I can't wait to get back on trail. We start soon.

12 comments:

  1. When? Sounds like fun (for you). Glad for the trail break....looking forward to hearing all about it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't want to encourage stalkers..will email.

      Delete
  2. Have a great time! And I don't think you're being selfish - everyone needs time to do the things they love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Going to be awhile before the snow melts in Oregon.

      Delete
  3. Have fun! Enjoy your "ME TIME", you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always seize the opportunity! 17 miles a day , not many you say! - yet again, I admire all who cover these distances and so many more in a day and usually in the mountains. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a lot but once you start walking, it actually isn't that far...if you just keep walking.

      Delete
    2. Trouble here is, that we don't have trails of any great length to build up fitness. I'll just keep plodding along and enjoying following the 'real' hikers.

      Delete
  5. This is one section of PCT that I know pretty well. I've hiked and run most of the trail through Lassen park and run a bunch of it north and south of Old Station and Burney. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so hot! I admire you running through there. Of course hiking was no picnic either!

      Delete
  6. I'm just now getting caught up on all the blog posts I've missed!!! About to read on!

    ReplyDelete

Hello out there. If you liked this post, please leave a comment so I keep writing!